SiteLock
Chicago area dirt ride to Bong state rec area trails. - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Great Lakes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
chevsuz12
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: bloomingdale, IL.
Postings: 143
chevsuz12 is on a distinguished road
Default Chicago area dirt ride to Bong state rec area trails.

Anyone in Chicago area want to ride the dirtbike/atv trails at Richard Bong State Park in Wicsconsin on Monday 5/26? I have never been, but I have been dying to take my new KLR on some real trails. And looking for someone to ride with. This is located near Union Grove, Wi. About 1 hour from Shaumburg.
chevsuz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Chris T
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: CHICAGO sUBURBS
Postings: 24
Chris T is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chicago area dirt ride to Bong state rec area trails.

Hi,

I joined yesterday and saw your post. I live in Wheaton and bought my KLR last fall as a project. Kinda finished it up a month ago, but have a spark problem I cannot solve as of yet. So I am still a XT600 enthusiast until I resolve the issue and sell the XT.

I also have been looking for places to ride around here as well. I had taken the XT out to Fox Valley Off Road near Ottawa but it was a little hairy for a 339lb bike. It had plenty of power but the weight was a bit too much for me to ride on that terrain. The KLR with its weight would have probably been more of a handful. These tracks are better suited for ATVs and straight dirt bikes than the big dual sport thumper. So I bought an ATV too.

I would like to give Richard Bong area try, but cant do it on such short notice because I will be going to visit my brother in Michicgan. I usually go to Vegas twice a year and I rent a car or a Goldwing and go to different places out in the desert and have found that there are tons of trails out there maintained by the BLM. A dual sport paradise if I ever saw one with nowhere to rent a DS bike.

I have also traveled to Greece and will rent Dualsport bikes when I go there. I usually hit the fire roads where you can ride up and down the sides of mountains all day and the scenery is just great. Motorcycles are really popular there and I would bet more than half of the bikes are dualsports. The only shortcoming to riding there is the lack of enforcement on the roads that make riding on the street a little hairy.

Unfortunately Illinois just doesn't have that many places to ride offroad and that probably lends to the lack of popularity with dualsport bikes here. Regardless I will always own at least one DS bike. I just like the functionality, agility and riding position too much to ride anything else. Lets face it, when it comes to Motorcycles we are a rare breed in Northern Illinois.

Oh well talk to you again.

Chris
Chris T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Chris T
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: CHICAGO sUBURBS
Postings: 24
Chris T is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I joined yesterday and saw your post. I live in Wheaton and bought my KLR last fall as a project. Kinda finished it up a month ago, but have a spark problem I cannot solve as of yet. So I am still a XT600 enthusiast until I resolve the issue and sell the XT.

I also have been looking for places to ride around here as well. I had taken the XT out to Fox Valley Off Road near Ottawa but it was a little hairy for a 339lb bike. It had plenty of power but the weight was a bit too much for me to ride on that terrain. The KLR with its weight would have probably been more of a handful. These tracks are better suited for ATVs and straight dirt bikes than the big dual sport thumper. So I bought an ATV too.

I would like to give Richard Bong area try, but cant do it on such short notice because I will be going to visit my brother in Michicgan. I usually go to Vegas twice a year and I rent a car or a Goldwing and go to different places out in the desert and have found that there are tons of trails out there maintained by the BLM. A dual sport paradise if I ever saw one with nowhere to rent a DS bike.

I have also traveled to Greece and will rent Dualsport bikes when I go there. I usually hit the fire roads where you can ride up and down the sides of mountains all day and the scenery is just great. Motorcycles are really popular there and I would bet more than half of the bikes are dualsports. The only shortcoming to riding there is the lack of enforcement on the roads that make riding on the street a little hairy.

Unfortunately Illinois just doesn't have that many places to ride offroad and that probably lends to the lack of popularity with dualsport bikes here. Regardless I will always own at least one DS bike. I just like the functionality, agility and riding position too much to ride anything else. Lets face it, when it comes to Motorcycles we are a rare breed in Northern Illinois.

Oh well talk to you again.

Chris
Chris T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
rsl_shot

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Buffalo, Wyoming
Postings: 11
rsl_shot is on a distinguished road

Haven't been on line much and just saw this post. Did you ever make it up to Bong ? Was it worth the trip ?
Are you planning to go again this summer ? Depending on the calendar I could be interested in riding up there with you. I'm in Mundelein for the summer.
rsl_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
chevsuz12
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: bloomingdale, IL.
Postings: 143
chevsuz12 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I went. But the trails were closed due to wet conditions. And with all the rain they have been getting, they will be closed for some time.

Was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! I decided to try and find a dirt/gravel road in the area to ride, and trust my GPS to find my way home.

I ended up finding an old RR track route that was converted to snowmobile trails, I rode this for many, miles. Am not sure if it was legal, but nothing said I could not be there. I made sure not to ride through anyones fields though. This trail led to some abandoned roads, power line access roads, dirt roads with bridges out, and even a new interstate system being built, which was really cool. All packed gravel for miles, this led to other trails, that led to an abandoned railroad tressel, crossing a river. Plenty of rocks, mud twisty roads, high speed, low speed, nearly went over the bars once.

I had a great time! Not sure I would have had as much fun, had I have ridden the actual trails I went there for.

I definately will go back. And you are welcome to join me. I have a friend who has a KTM EXC, and another that will be buying a KLR shortly. We are planning some rides soon.
chevsuz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
JustAdam
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2008
Locale: Elgin, Illinois
Postings: 192
JustAdam is on a distinguished road

I just picked up mine today, this morning!

Its a 1999 and its been rode all the way from near Chicago somewhere down to Brazil, thats right, a long ride, through entire country's - and that is one of the reasons I wanted/needed it, just for the history!

Anyway, its got about 36000 and it is not pretty and needs a little work, but I picked it up for $1650.00 - I think I got a pretty good deal.

Looking forward to taking it off road a little - soon
Mods:
Doo is done - Check
16t and new rear with chain- Check
Footpegs - Check
Cheap top case $58 shipped - Check
Tires D606/K270 and tubes - Check
Decals - Check
Lots of Bungee cords too - lol

More to come soon as I can afford it!
Chicagoland Dual Sport Club ROCKS

My KLR pics