SiteLock
Doohickey Tech Day in Chicago area anyone? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Great Lakes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Tshusband
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: Batavia, IL
Postings: 35
Tshusband is on a distinguished road
Default Doohickey Tech Day in Chicago area anyone?

I have EagleMike's doohickey parts and tools and was hoping to hook up with others to change out the parts. Anyone with experience in doing this interested in helping out?

I am 50 miles west of Chicago, have heated space, bike table, reasonable tools, and can host.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
likebikes

Locale: Minnesota
Postings: 400
likebikes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Doohickey Tech Day in Chicago area anyone?

My son has my old KLR and an Eagle Mike Doo he's waiting for the opportunity to get installed. He's right up the road in Elgin. I'm planning to come down and help him do his in a month or so, we might be able to put together a party. We have the tools also from when I did my new KLR.
I'll let him know about ya!

Last edited by likebikes; 03-27-2009 at 06:32 PM.
likebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Neubz
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2006
Locale: Milwaukee
Postings: 248
Neubz is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested. I live downtown in Chicago. (I was actually thinking of trying to put together a tech day later this summer in the area, although I can't host). I now have a new '09. I've previously done the doo on a '93 and a '94, although its been a few years. I have all the tools, and the torsion spring that I will be putting into my '09 (never done a torsion spring with the drilling however).

Keep me posted.

Nate
Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
likebikes

We'll see what happens. My son doesn't have a good spot either so we've been waiting for warmer weather. I'd like to ride the old lawnmower down from Minnesota and go riding with him anyway.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Tshusband
A Regular

Alright now, sounds like we have some interest. My torsion spring awaits....

Anytime works for me, though I'd like to get it done sooner than later, guess some of the stories I've read of guys finding broken springs have got me a bit anxious/nervous.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Neubz
A Regular

The weekends of April 4 and April 11 are no good for me. But I am open pretty much any weekend after that. Just let me know what works for you all and I can put it on my calendar. This will be good - I'd like a little moral support when I doo the torsion spring for the first time.

Any other mods that you might be interested in trying, or should we just limit this to doos?
Old 03-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
likebikes

Sounds great here too. I wouldn't be in a panic over this Ts, the 06 my son is riding has 36K on the clock and still chugging on the OEM doo. If the spring does break, we'll be able to pull it out allright but it isn't something that is sure to happen. I watched about a dozen of these before I did my own up here and I've seen a lot of satisfied KLR owners once this procedure is finished but I believe only one that had a broken piece to contend with.
I won't be able to muster the vacation time to get down there until the first week in May, so unless someone else springs up, I hope you will wait.
Let's try to keep this thread alive to see if anyone else springs up and keep in touch.
Nuebz, hope you can contain your enthusiasm!
Kevin

Last edited by likebikes; 03-29-2009 at 12:52 PM.
likebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Tshusband
A Regular

Other mods possible.

I'll be getting my Moab shock, fork springs and cartridge emulators that will need to be installed. I'm going to have a welder (which I don't know how to do myself) custom make up mounts to lower my footpegs while keeping my SW-Motech centerstand in place. The only other mod I need to make that I can think of is the plug & play blade type fuse kit to go under the seat. Or maybe the sharkfin rear rotor protector. Just did the petcock to gravity changover. Easy. Waiting to install Eaglemikes fork brace after I do the fork spring/cartridge change.

Timing. I can wait for you Likebikes, if Neubz is ok on waiting until maybe the weekend of May 2-3?
The following weekend is Mothers Day. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

Either of you guys ever switched out a rear shock on a KLR? Or drilled out for the fork cartridge emulators?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
Neubz
A Regular

I fine with waiting and that weekend works for me. I have the Moab shock and the fork springs sitting in my dining room right now. I didn't get the cartridge emulators because I wasn't sure about the procedure for installing them (and also because it sounds like you need some special tool to do it, but I couldn't quite understand what it is). So maybe it would be a good day to do suspensions too. I've swapped out shocks on my old '93 and '94 bikes before, and it is SIMPLE . And I hear it is equally simple on the 08+ models. However, I was planning on checking the grease on all the swingarm linkages and such when I swapped the rear shock, to sort of take care of it all at once.

If someone was going to show up that knew how to do the cartridge emulator install, I would order those and put those in too.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
Tshusband
A Regular

OK. May 2nd or 3rd sounds like a full day of fun. Can you make it Likebikes? Did I mention I have an '07? Don't think that will make too big of a difference, do you? I say go ahead and order the cartridge emulators. I'm sure we can find someone or plenty of how to articles in the next month. Rick at Cogent Dynamics gave me their "Spring Special" price of the shock, fork springs and emulators for $749. I don't know what you paid, or when you purchased, but maybe he would honor the "package price" for you too, if it's not too late.
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
likebikes

I'll put in for a couple of days vacation tomorrow.
The shock is easy as has been said, never drilled out the cartridges though. You guys are getting pretty ambitious. The shock requires removing the rear wheel and disassembling the linkage. You'll spend 1.5 to two hours doing your doo and then a couple more hours (maybe less) doing your shock. Your fork disassembly will be another couple hours. I've done all this stuff twice (not the emulators) over the winter so if you're going to do it in one day, you will be busy!
Check out the procedures on this site! Very good info.
https://www.klr650.marknet.us/
Old 03-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #12
likebikes

Ts, check your private messages.
Neubz, will keep you in the loop.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
Neubz
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
I'll put in for a couple of days vacation tomorrow.
The shock is easy as has been said, never drilled out the cartridges though. You guys are getting pretty ambitious. The shock requires removing the rear wheel and disassembling the linkage. You'll spend 1.5 to two hours doing your doo and then a couple more hours (maybe less) doing your shock. Your fork disassembly will be another couple hours. I've done all this stuff twice (not the emulators) over the winter so if you're going to do it in one day, you will be busy!
Check out the procedures on this site! Very good info.
https://www.klr650.marknet.us/
Now that I think about it, I agree that suspension would be overly ambitious. I can do it solo at home, so no big deal; but I just would have liked to seen the emulators done. Not the end of the world. We should probably just focus on doos.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
onekidneyrider

Super Cool Since: Aug 2008
Locale: Chicago
Postings: 15
onekidneyrider is on a distinguished road

Oh thank God other people in Chicago have KLR's.
I was afraid I was alone out here. I am kinda a noob and felt I had no support. I need to do the Doo as well and was kinda bummed about doing it myself in the garage. Can I come?
I am southside and willing to ride up whenever.

08 KLR 650
onekidneyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #15
Tshusband
A Regular

Glad to hear of another KLR in the Windy City area. What year is your bike? If everyone involved thinks that 4 bikes spaced out on 4 walls in the garage will be alright, then I'm OK with a 4th bike.

We've zero'd in on either May 2nd or 3rd. I'm OK with either day.
Likebikes or Neubz, what do you think?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #16
likebikes

The crowd we had in Shoreview to years ago was 28 bikes. We were wall to wall, great time.
How many ever you invite is your biz, for me, all is good, two or twenty!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #17
Tshusband
A Regular

Does Saturday, May 2nd work for you guys? I am here, so whatever start time you guys agree on is fine with me.

There is a McDonalds and a donut shop both within 3 minutes of my home if anyone wants to catch something on the way. I can have coffee ready.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #18
roadapple
KLR Enthusiast

Locale: Chicago, IL
Postings: 780
roadapple is on a distinguished road

I live near sw to Chicago, I can offer help/encourgaement/tools on things like Smilemaker, ThermoBob, SW-Motec, Headlight on/off mods if intrested...Batavia is only a hop, skip and 4 thousand potholes away. Mmmm Donuts!
roadapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #19
Neubz
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshusband View Post
Does Saturday, May 2nd work for you guys? I am here, so whatever start time you guys agree on is fine with me.

There is a McDonalds and a donut shop both within 3 minutes of my home if anyone wants to catch something on the way. I can have coffee ready.
Saturday May 2 works for me. I'd prefer an earlier start time rather than later, but I am flexible. I'm not sure how many sets of doo tools we will have, but I can bring my full set, including offset wrench, rotor puller, breaker bar, torque wrenches, etc.

For those new to the doo, remember that in addition to getting the doo and new spring, to think about ordering a new rotor bolt and maybe new gaskets as well. And if someone has an easy way of getting a woodruff key, it might not be a bad idea to have one of those on hand.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
onekidneyrider

Super Cool Since: Aug 2008
Locale: Chicago
Postings: 15
onekidneyrider is on a distinguished road

Bummer. I have to work that whole weekend but not until around noon. I won't be able to do the doo with yall but if you guys start early enough I would like to ride up for a cup of coffee and some klr company for an hour or so before work.

08 KLR 650
onekidneyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
area, chicago, day, doohickey, tech