SiteLock
2008 evolution - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2006
Locale: Mena, Ar
Postings: 1,192
johnwesley is on a distinguished road
Default 2008 evolution

I had a thread on the olderer klr I built, some seem to like iot so I decided to start a build thread for the 2008. I use the klr as a touring machine and as a dual sport. I normally rack up about 20,000 miles cris crossing the crountry on it. The 08 model was a sure winner on the street, but try as I might I could not get comfortable with it on the trails. So I will show you guys some of the evolution of my 2008 klr.

I already have the 685 kit in it and a happy trail kit. Body protection and luggage. I think the 685 is the way to go for hauling extra loads around. It will let you lug the engine more with out strain and pull higher gearing for the touring trips. My favorite sprocket set up on the old bike was a 16/45 road and a 14/45 for the trials. It seems to be best for the type of riding that I do.

One thing that I learned on the old bike is that if you want the best suspension out there then you should call rick at cogent dynamics. So with that knowledge I got a moab shock for the 08

This shock is the toughest out there. I have tried other and have blow all of them with in a year. Not so with the moab, pluse he'll work with you till your happy with the performance.

So with the back end settled I truned to the front. I have moab spring and race tech emulators. The emulators have the yellow spring w/ 2.25 turns and the fork oil level is set at 100mm. It is working out well, but I am still not happy with it as it bottoms out on the bigger hits.

I wasn't able to get the forks plush and not bottom. To keep them from bottoming I have to add to much compression and then it gets a little ruff. Great on the street but just not what I want in a dual sport/adv bike.

I turn my attention to the wind management and will deal with the forks later. I used a double bubble wind shiled to help make room for my gps and to move the wind blast a little higher. hhere is what she looks like.

I have had some bad luck with the front rim. It seems alot softer than the older style and I have ruined mine, so I sent the hub off to woody's wheel works to get it fixed. I like the results.

more later

my blog
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

Default Re: 2008 evolution

Having gotten fed up with the froks on the 08 and having a big dual sport ride coming up with plenty of rocks. So I had to get the bike ready for it. I called Holycaveman up for some advice and to see if he had what I was looking for. He did and offered me a package deal so I could have a bolt on cartridge fork. Thats just what I needed and so Bingo I got it installed today. I am like them very much. that take the hit and keep on going. Really nocompairsion to the old ones and with 11.8" of travel I can play with the Big Dogs. Highly recomended and now that caveman has a kit offered, it's as easy as a phone call. No more hunting parts down and sourcing a machinist to work with you. I just sent a spare set of tripple clamps to him and he sent me back every thing I need to bolt his forks on. They came with new bushings and seals, set up with fresh oil. The brakes had new pads in the caliper and the wheel had new bearings. I didn't have to worry about anything.

my blog
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
bsheet2
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Dec 2008
Locale: Texas
Postings: 2,201
bsheet2 is on a distinguished road

Good start. Are those D606 tires on there??

Those are some serious looking front forks!

Last edited by bsheet2; 07-30-2009 at 07:15 PM.
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

yep they are in fact d606. I really like them for mixed riding

my blog
Old 07-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
CWAY
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Locale: Auburn Hills, MI
Postings: 102
CWAY is on a distinguished road

Is the rake different on you front forks compared to stock.
CWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

I am sure it changed a little. It would have to from the changed ride height. I did raise the rear to match, but as the tripple get futher from the ground the trail figures change slightly. I doubt that anyone would notice. It basically sits about like the old bikes did once you had the right springs in it

my blog
Old 07-31-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
KLdrumR
Dig it

Super Cool Since: Apr 2007
Locale: Merrimack Valley MA
Postings: 7,693
KLdrumR is on a distinguished road

Nice set up.

Forks solution sounds great.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
NewHampWoodsRider

Super Cool Since: Aug 2008
Locale: Way Down North in New Hampster
Postings: 457
NewHampWoodsRider is on a distinguished road

Very cool!

What are those forks from?
NewHampWoodsRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

1995 yz250 Caveman seems to have a stock of mx forks to pick from

my blog
Old 07-31-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: 2008 evolution

I have spent some time on the forks today, and they are what I have been looking for. It sets up nice and tall and absorbs the bumps and offroad trail nicely. I am impressed. I can say that it makes me smile like my old one did. It isn't a mod for everyone. It sits up about 1.5" taller than before and allows you to see over cars, plus the ground clearance is better both for off-road and corner carving. She seems to handle the curves like a street bike. I would think that it comes from the stronger forks giving less flex. It will go where you point it when you point it. Now this is the bike Kawasaki should have made for me

I will give more info as I get more saddle tim in

my blog
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

I am working hard to get ready for the TAT and then Big Dog event. I have noticed that the battery has been getting week, so I in goes the odyssey battery.

Got some time to spend on the road paved and gravel with the new forks, seems to be working good. I am going to try some stiffer springs to get a little higher in the stroke. She handles the gravel and dirt well. I have gained some speed since the change. I can tell more about whats going on with the more rigid forks. It is easy to feel if your stuk in the corner or tring to wash. I like the new feed back. Once dailed in these forks are going to be a deam ride

my blog
Old 08-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
gunnygorge
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2007
Locale: Gunnison, CO (348 m n Spoonbooty)
Postings: 163
gunnygorge is on a distinguished road

Shoot John, I just get back from WestFest and think I have the bike pretty well set up (went over Mosquito and Hancock with little trouble) and you start me thinking about new stuff!! Quit it!!

(However, I did already think about the rear shock)

Seriously though, have a good time with the dogs. I'll be in Estes at State, but let me know your schedule.

For a list of mods and trip pics, check my site at: https://dualsportadventures.shutterfly.com/

2008 Blue KLR, very well farkled. Now she's a 685!! Yeah Baby!!

2005 Royal Star Midnight Venture

Paved Roads - Classic waste of taxpayers money!

New member of KLARMY

gunnygorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnygorge View Post
Shoot John, I just get back from WestFest and think I have the bike pretty well set up (went over Mosquito and Hancock with little trouble) and you start me thinking about new stuff!! Quit it!!

(However, I did already think about the rear shock)

Seriously though, have a good time with the dogs. I'll be in Estes at State, but let me know your schedule.
I will be coming across the TAT with Cy Maybe we could hook up for lunch sunday. I'm sure I'll need a nice pavemnet ride to gunnison after the Big Dog.

If your interested I will be selling my 08 forks with moab springs and race tech emulators. If you like we could trade forks and make it cheaper

not that you need them, just saying

are you going to post picks of west fest? Wish I could have went, but as you can tell I have been busy

my blog

Last edited by johnwesley; 08-02-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
gunnygorge
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2007
Locale: Gunnison, CO (348 m n Spoonbooty)
Postings: 163
gunnygorge is on a distinguished road

I'll be posting pics asap, We'll talk about the shocks later.

For a list of mods and trip pics, check my site at: https://dualsportadventures.shutterfly.com/

2008 Blue KLR, very well farkled. Now she's a 685!! Yeah Baby!!

2005 Royal Star Midnight Venture

Paved Roads - Classic waste of taxpayers money!

New member of KLARMY

gunnygorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
Lefty Carbon
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: N. COLORADO
Postings: 8
Lefty Carbon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
Having gotten fed up with the froks on the 08 and having a big dual sport ride coming up with plenty of rocks. So I had to get the bike ready for it. I called Holycaveman up for some advice and to see if he had what I was looking for. He did and offered me a package deal so I could have a bolt on cartridge fork. Thats just what I needed and so Bingo I got it installed today. I am like them very much. that take the hit and keep on going. Really nocompairsion to the old ones and with 11.8" of travel I can play with the Big Dogs. Highly recomended and now that caveman has a kit offered, it's as easy as a phone call. No more hunting parts down and sourcing a machinist to work with you. I just sent a spare set of tripple clamps to him and he sent me back every thing I need to bolt his forks on. They came with new bushings and seals, set up with fresh oil. The brakes had new pads in the caliper and the wheel had new bearings. I didn't have to worry about anything.

What kind of bags? How are they mounted?

Thanks,

Lefty C
Lefty Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #16
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Carbon View Post
What kind of bags? How are they mounted?

Thanks,

Lefty C
they are fender bags and I have them straped around the nerf bars. One side has my tubes and the other my tool kit and patch kit.

my blog
Old 08-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

I am loving the new fornt end. HC did a great job with it and we hit some good luck to. Like the steering stops are perfect, with some spacers the steering lock will work, and with some very minor machine work the KLR wheel will fit and I can have my speedo drive back.

The brakes are better than the 08 brakes. They have about the same power but twice the feel as the klr. The front forks stick like glue on the gravel roads and holds a line very well. It climbes ledges well and absorbs the big hits good. I have some consistant bottoming which I'll add some oil and that will help stiffen the progessive air spring. I am also going to step up to .47 springs. My bike is front heavy. I had some time this afternoon to hit the off-road park, and to say the least I am impressed. I have never been on a bike that handles as good as this one. I did spend some time on a drz400E once but it wasn't as nice as this. The bike seems to have lost 75 lbs. It feels lighter steers quicker. That may come from the increase in the center of gravity allowing me to weight the pegs and have more leverge to turn the bike. I'm not sure why but that is my guess. I was hoping to get the 08 to act as good as my dailed in 89 model, but what I ended up with is a different animal all together. I am love'n it.

Here is a better shot of the bag mounted for lefty

in that pic i didn't have the front fender on it because the 08 will notfit . Now i have my old klr fender on it. fits fine , but the center rib section of it sits down to far and I have 3/16" interfernce at full compression. I=A mx fender will fix that and give me a 1/2" to spare

by modifying the rear link system I was able to gain 1.5" of heigth and travel. that way the front and rear will be balanced

my blog

Last edited by johnwesley; 08-02-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #18
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

here is a updated pic of Me on the TAT in Colorado.

I have since picked up a slip on that I hope to help improve the power a little. It is a 94 db muffler which should be good for the long days in the saddle but still have a nice tone to it. It's a LeoVince X3 and has a lot of tuning options that come with it. I have 5 tips to chose from each with their on sound and power curve. It is also FS aprroved so I am safe running through the woods. I hope to get it on the dyno before long.

my blog
Old 12-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #19
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

I rode to work today. First time i have been on the bike since the wreck. Great fun, just keep it under your hat, I'd hate for the doc to find out. This pic shows the new fender. I have the skid plate and PD bars off. I'm not sure I'll put the PD bars back on, and the skid plate will get some mods to make it stronger around the drain plug area. Tomorrow begins the teardown to see what's up with the oil usage. Stage II head will go on and possible 705 kit depending on what we find when we open her up.

my blog
Old 12-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #20
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

It's as I figured the cyclinder is out of round by2.5 thousandth. I'm still not sure what size I am going with. I know I will go with the heavy duty liner and either the 705 or 685 piston. Thought is that is I go 685 then I have one more bore size to go before I need a new liner. On the other hand it would be nice to have the extra Tq of the 705. I'll know by Christmas what I am going to do. I have sent the old cyclinder to HC and let him do the work

my blog

Last edited by johnwesley; 12-18-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored links

Tags
2008, evolution