SiteLock
2010 Michigan Adventure Ride - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Great Lakes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
steelhorse
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2009
Locale: Topinabee, Michigan
Postings: 138
steelhorse is on a distinguished road
Default 2010 Michigan Adventure Ride

Greetings All,

O.K. I know this is early but we need to plan a "large" ride for next year. Three of us rode last year after lots of planning on this site. Northman, Lost Cause and I had a Super Ride. Perhaps if we start planning now we might get six riders(only kidding). I'd love to see enough riders to get Kawasaki's attention. Perhaps they might give back a little something to the riders for all the dollars we spend on our beloved machines. Even if we don't get their attention we can still have one hell of a great ride here in Michigan. I've got lots of ideas but want to know if anybody else is interested. Let's talk about this!
steelhorse
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it is safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists!
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Northman
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Locale: Michigan
Postings: 225
Northman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2010 Michigan Adventure Ride

I'm in for another ride! This summer's ride was fun despite the cold and rainy conditions we experienced Feel free to call on me to help out in any way Steelhorse.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
steelhorse
A Regular

Hi Northman, Welcome aboard Talked with Lost Cause last night and he's in for 2010. Will be great to ride with you guys again.

We'll talk soon.

steelhorse
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it is safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
LOST CAUSE
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2008
Locale: Jackson,Mi.49201
Postings: 134
LOST CAUSE is on a distinguished road

Put me in Coach,Ive got a helmet...
LOST CAUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
fattkaw

Super Cool Since: Feb 2007
Locale: Romeoville Il.
Postings: 487
fattkaw is on a distinguished road

where are we talking about as a starting point????
fattkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
steelhorse
A Regular

Hello "lost cause" (glad you brought your helmet and want to play)
"fattkaw", (I just know that I'm gonna get in trouble when my wife hears me say
fat cow.)

Anyhow nothing is set in stone about the ride yet. All ideas are welcome to accomodate the most riders. I spoke with "lost cause" yesterday and he told me about a ride he took along the shore of Lk. Mich. from Manistee north that sounds really cool. But again nothing is in stone. I believe any ride with other KLR riders is gonna be fun. So share your thoughts!
Great to see interest already in this ride

Got to ride a little tonight after work, lots of salt on the roads after this mornings black ice though. Guess we are just about the end of the season up here

Later,
steelhorse

Last edited by steelhorse; 11-18-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #7
CHARLIE2744
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Toledo OH
Postings: 1,532
CHARLIE2744 is on a distinguished road

Chalie is up to it.
I was unable this past summer due to something about
my wife's and my 25th wedding anniversary.
Oh well we're still married and we'll see about making it 26.

Any thoughts about making it in the spring time?
"All of us, at some point in our lives are faced with something that we didn't expect and never wanted. What defines us, I think, is what we do with those things that life gives us. Very often whether we are cursed or blessed is simply a matter of choosing."

"One cannot tell how fast one can ride until one crashes".
-Unknown
CHARLIE2744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
LOST CAUSE
A Regular

I had a couple of thoughts about the ride I'd like to throw at you.
As Steelhorse mentioned in the opening post,please give us some input on where YOU would like to ride.I'm sure we all have some favorite areas we enjoy riding in so post them up! Also look at this ride as being "open ended". Maybe all of us can't make the entire trip,but feel free to join up and ride along when you can.We will have a time and place for each days departure.Try to find some info or links for lodging and camping in the areas that you are suggesting for a ride,as some riders might prefer one kind of lodging over another.Hope to hear from a lot of riders about their ideas for this ride.
LOST CAUSE
Old 11-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
skeeter650
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2009
Locale: Iron Mountain, MI
Postings: 27
skeeter650 is on a distinguished road

hey, if folks are interested in a U.P. portion of the tour - i live near Iron Mountain, MI and would be happy to give a guided tour of some of the local trails i'm discovering. I also have a large chunk of woods with plenty of room to camp (i'd have to run that by the wife first, tho - as we're expecting a baby in july (holy shit i'm gonna be a dad!)). but if that doesn't work out, i stumbled across a camp ground near carney lake that's very secluded and would work out pretty good, methinks.

also, i was planning on attending the 2010 Central Rally in spread eagle wisconsin. (i know, i know, not in michigan - but it's only about 100 miles away from my place). dates are to be determined, but i thought i'd pass it on as a potential stop on the tour. there's a KLR guy on removed from indiana who also mentioned going to the rally via michigan and the UP, also.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
CHARLIE2744
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter650 View Post
also, i was planning on attending the 2010 Central Rally in spread eagle wisconsin. (i know, i know, not in michigan - but it's only about 100 miles away from my place). dates are to be determined, but i thought i'd pass it on as a potential stop on the tour. there's a KLR guy on removed from indiana who also mentioned going to the rally via michigan and the UP, also.
Hey !!! This may be cool to have a layover at this deal.
We could show these guys & gals what were made of...
(but...would we have to go over that God forsaken bridge? I hate that thing)
"All of us, at some point in our lives are faced with something that we didn't expect and never wanted. What defines us, I think, is what we do with those things that life gives us. Very often whether we are cursed or blessed is simply a matter of choosing."

-Unknown
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
steelhorse
A Regular

Hey y'all I'm loving the discussion. Keep the ideas rolling in!

Skeeter650 please tell us more about that rally in Spread Eagle as you get info. Sounds like fun to me.

By the way, the "bridge" can be thought of in a few different ways.
1. an opponent to over come (or come over)
2. an obsticle to relaxed riding enjoyment while white knuckling the grate
3. a $3.00 charge for the opportunity to pucker the whole way in the side winds
4. (or my philosophy) The gateway to superb riding on the U.P. with a chance to use the rest area on the north side cause there ain't pottys on the bridge. (Please remember I'm an old guy)

Have a great holiday!
steelhorse

Last edited by steelhorse; 11-25-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
CHARLIE2744
KLR Enthusiast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veteran...ss_City_Skyway

The above mentioned span is one I traverse weekly during the summer. It is all concrete decking that is grooved. After 30 or so passes, I am still nervous but getting better.
The only concern I have on this one or the "Mighty Mac" would be
the grate. Well that and the fact I'd be 522 FEET UP AND I DON'T SWIM !!!

But what the hell...I'd give it a go.

-Unknown
Old 11-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #13
skeeter650
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
Skeeter650 please tell us more about that rally in Spread Eagle as you get info. Sounds like fun to me.
hurr durrrr - i are retarded. it's not in spread eagle, wi - it's in eagle river, wi.

at any rate: this is a link to the thread about the 2009 rally if anyone wants to get an idea on what it's all about.

this link is about the up and coming 2010 rally. from the front page it's def. going to be a week long, sometime in august. looking at the poll, it appears it will be the week involving aug. 20-22.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #14
Northman
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Locale: Michigan
Postings: 225
Northman is on a distinguished road

Sounds like it s starting to shape up. The Mac is a great ride , I have driven it for years ,walked it a few times , but riding it sure was the best experience. western N. lower MI is some fun riding as well. I rode with my bro and his girlfriend a few years back. M-22 is fun ride with some twists and turns.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
LOST CAUSE
A Regular

Hey Northman,
I started at Manistee and rode up to Empire on M-22 .The Lakeshore drive out of Manistee is real nice .You said you rode from Empire up to Northport,so if we figure out whe to go from there we could put together a nice days ride.
One thing we all should think about is how far we want to ride each day.I know this will also depend on what type of riding we'll be doing.Remember this is a FUN ride (not an IRONBUTT),and I don,t want to be so "rode out" that we can't enjoy our beer rations!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
CHARLIE2744
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOST CAUSE View Post
Remember this is a FUN ride (not an IRONBUTT),and I don,t want to be so "rode out" that we can't enjoy our beer rations!
Def. one of the more important parts of a group ride.

-Unknown
Old 12-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
Tee2
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2009
Locale: Near Chicago
Postings: 85
Tee2 is on a distinguished road

I might be up for it. I'm from Lansing but not the one your thinking of, in Illinois it's on the IL, IN border on I-80-94.

I just got a low mileage (65) 2006 KLR that needs some miles on it.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for details.

Todd
Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #18
steelhorse
A Regular

Evening all,

Welcome Tee2, Glad you might join us! I know you'll have fun.

Hi skeeter650, Read the link on that rally in Wis. Would be good for a stop on the ride. Saw one of their advertising posters and I'd like to see the "tat" on that girls lower back (not her t-ts although that might not be too either although it might not be anatomically possible).

Charlie2744, Hope you will join us this year since you paid your dues to the wife last year.(25 yrs? Well Done Sir!)

Northman, Hope to talk soon, our move was OK, hope yours was also.

Hey lost cause, I really like your idea of people joining us as they can and breaking off if or when they need to. I guess we will want to expand the ride to include route 22.
How does this sound? We each take responsibility for leading a days ride on our favorite roads/trails etc. You would start off down by you working north to 22 and then to Northman. He would take over on his favorite areas then coming my direction and my favorites.
We need to discuss if we want to include the U.P. and a circle tour that would include the Iron Mountain to Marinesco trail, then to that rally skeeter650 mentioned, up to Copper Harbor, and over to Grand Maris (on that sweet new section from Marquette to Grand Maris) the beautiful back gravel roads up there and finally home. We again could share the guiding responsibilities for that days ride. (Of course there would be time after riding for daily rations of brewed and other beverages).
No, i'm not MANIC I just wanna ride!
The reality is that of time limitations though. Let's discuss what is feasible and can be accomplished realistically. I'm open to suggestions.

steelhorse

PS, Got to ride about 30 miles after work tonight, cold but I love the new risers, pegs and peg lowering blocks. What a difference 1 inch makes top and bottom. SWEET!

Last edited by steelhorse; 12-02-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #19
LOST CAUSE
A Regular

I'll vote for some U.P. miles on the trip!Paridise,Crisp Point Light,Whitefish Point,Grand Marias, all have a great mix of pavement and some nice gravel and two-tracks.And plenty of great camping and hotels in the area.
I like your idea of everyone leading a portion of the ride that they are comfortable with.It worked out well on our ride last. We have to include a ride thru the "Tunnel of Trees" ,either northbound or southbound.
As we get further along ,hopefully we will be able figure out some departure areas so riders can met up for the ride.
Steelhorse,how about that ride to Copper Harbor along the Eastern shore of the Keeweenaw(including the famous bar in Gay). Skeeter took a nice trip this summer to the "copper country,so I'm sure he has some goood routes too.
Keep those ideas coming. LOST CAUSE
Old 12-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #20
skeeter650
A Regular

Update/FYI:

the 2010 ADV Central Rally is set for Aug. 22 thru Aug. 29

also, if the tunnel of trees is on the agenda, i'd recommend stopping at legs inn for a bit - to grab some fine polish cuisine or at least check out the amazing wood working.

Tags
2010, adventure, michigan, ride