SiteLock
Snow tires? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Great Lakes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
eal1284

Super Cool Since: Dec 2009
Locale: Michigan
Postings: 14
eal1284 is on a distinguished road
Question Snow tires?

Do any of you michiganders ride much in the white stuff? I am looking for opinions on which tires produce the least amont of havoc while braving the "less than ideal" road conditions we get here in the winter months. I am just having a hard time leaving the thumper parked in the garage. How do others deal with this dilema?
eal1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
JDS-VinMoto
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2009
Locale: Carol Stream, IL
Postings: 35
JDS-VinMoto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snow tires?

Sorry, I cannot help you out much. I bought my KLR at the end of January last year, and did go for very very short rides while there was snow on the ground: did have a low speed drop too. Big benefit: I started my '09 riding season quite early. Almost all of these micro rides were on carefully selected days where the risk of ice on the roads was minimal. Did not go offroad.

For what its worth, consider what tires you have on the thumper now? I use Gripsters, and would trust them on winter roads to the extent of my play it safe practices.

If you want to go nuts, buy a new pair of knobbies, stud them up with appropriately sized Cold Kutter screws (ask and I will find some pointers), buy a pair of liners, and kit yourself an ice bike. A lighter, more ratty, dirtbike would be most appropriate for this task (though an ice KLR would be most cool!), and you can find a frozen pond and ride until your extremities turn numb.

One caveat: ice bike tires should never touch asphalt, gravel, dirt, or tarmac. You kill your studs.
Also, you will be surprised with the amount of grip you have with a properly studded tire.

Some folks I know north of the Cheddar Curtain have documented their icecapades here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothra
2006 KLR650
MS, SN
JDS-VinMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
l0rdtw34k
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Anchorage, AK
Postings: 22
l0rdtw34k is on a distinguished road

Check this out, it may help:

https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...ighlight=studs

l0rdtw34k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
LOST CAUSE
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2008
Locale: Jackson,Mi.49201
Postings: 134
LOST CAUSE is on a distinguished road

Most of paved roads are pretty well taken care of(salt,and sand) so you only have to watch out for the occaisional patch of the dreaded "black ice". The gravel roads are usually covered with packed down snow and ice with some gravel thrown on top.This can lead to some real exciting riding. There are lots of options for studs,but like most things they are a compromise for most pavement riding."Aerostich.Com" has some nice options and claim you can run them on the pavement.
My winter riding is limited,but it's still nice to get out and feel a bit of fresh air blowing up your sleeves. Good Luck and ride safe!
LOST CAUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
alwayssummer
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Cleveland, Ohio
Postings: 52
alwayssummer is on a distinguished road

https://www.removed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53519

Lots and lots of winter riding discussion!

Last edited by alwayssummer; 02-25-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Learning to spell
alwayssummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
snow, tires