SiteLock
Did I make the right pannier choice??? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Gear Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.
Gear Discussion Gear for you and your ride

Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
yoteslayer31@q.com
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Nov 2009
Locale: Colorado Springs, CO
Postings: 8
yoteslayer31@q.com is on a distinguished road
Default Did I make the right pannier choice???

So after months of looking and searching for the perfect set of Panniers. Countless hours of typing in "pannier" into countless numbers of search engines and forum searches I have finally pulled the trigger on some Happy Trails 10.5s. I got the free powder coating and pre-mount for them as well. They are on sale and I believe the sale ends this weekend. I also got a 10% military discount! Not too bad. I think the total before shipping was $639. So where I am worried is Ed at Happy Trails, who has been awesome, said the 10.5's are way too big. He really wanted to seel me a set of 9". After looking and looking and looking for a reason to buy the 9" over the 10.5's I could not find one. I understand the wider than the handlebar point, but so are the 9's and if I am trail riding I plan to trail ride after camp is setup already. I would take them off anyway. I just could not find a reason to go with the 9's. I also picked up a +11 new windshield. I hope I am happy! Any comments on 10.5 vs 9's??? Also I came home yesterday to see my front left fork seal leaking pretty bad. I already got the seals coming any suggetion on a great set of instructions on putting new seals and wipers on???

Thanks guys and I will take a pic of the Massively Oversized Panniers when they come in and let you know what I think!
yoteslayer31@q.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
waterlooklr
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2004
Locale: Waterloo, Il
Postings: 901
waterlooklr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Did I make the right pannier choice???

I own a BMW R1200GS Adventure with 9" Happy Trail panniers..plenty of room and they are the same width as the handlebars when mounted.......about 37" wide. I would be concerned that the 10.5" bags would be too big/large on a KLR.........+ all of the wind drag. + You have a tendency to fill up all of that space = too heavy.

I thought about using the Happy Trails 9" set on my recently purchased '09 KLR, but I am going to use SW Motech removeable racks with E36 Givi bags.........they are 10" wide, but not nearly as heavy as the Happy Trail bags on the BMW GSA. I had a set of SW Motech racks with Pelican cases on my '08......tough racks, but I was not a fan of the Pelicans.....too heavy/stuff fell out, etc.

Happy Trails does have a great deal going on with the bags/powdercoat/pre-mount/rack for $599.99........BUT, IF IT WERE ME, I'D GO WITH THE 9" BAGS ON THE KLR...........you will have plenty of room.

Just my thoughts....YMMV
waterlooklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2010, 01:23 AM   #3
hbsoldier3
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2010
Locale: Newport Beach CA
Postings: 142
hbsoldier3 is on a distinguished road

I went with the 7.5 bags from Ed at HT So Cal rat race a lot of spilting traffic, Ed talked me into it, hey did not know about Military discount is that for Active Duty only ?

WERA West #116
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
https://www.darkstarkaos.com/
hbsoldier3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
yoteslayer31@q.com
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsoldier3 View Post
I went with the 7.5 bags from Ed at HT So Cal rat race a lot of spilting traffic, Ed talked me into it, hey did not know about Military discount is that for Active Duty only ?
Not sure if it is Active or reserve etc... I told him I was, and I am Active AF. Ed at HT was an army scout. I always ask, just to see. Wow, I might be alone on this 10.5 thing. Well looks like I might have enough room for my tempur pedic pillow and the cat!!! I hate my Cat!

Bill
Old 02-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
JHP

Locale: Kentucky
Postings: 460
JHP is on a distinguished road

I too have been fighting this desion for weeks. I finally went with the Action Packer from Walmart for 18.00 found here on this site. That gives me a fairly large secure areaa I can lock. Then I orderd Nelson Rigg cl-1000 soft bags for 63.00 (78.00 counting shipping) that have about 38 liters of space. I have already purchased the Cee Baily +10. Bar weights, new grips and 16 tooth sproket. Need to have some cash left to get to Alaska and back in July.

Hard Bags are nice though. So enjoy.
JHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
hoosier40
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: TERRE HAUTE INDIANA
Postings: 65
hoosier40 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Do you have any pictures of your bike from the rear ? I'd like to get a good feel of how wide they look. I also am interested in buying panniers, but want to make sure I get the right size. I have soft saddlebags and JC Whitney topcase that is lockable, but putting bulky things in the topcase messes with the overall balance of the bike.
hoosier40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
hbsoldier3
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier40 View Post
Do you have any pictures of your bike from the rear ? I'd like to get a good feel of how wide they look. I also am interested in buying panniers, but want to make sure I get the right size. I have soft saddlebags and JC Whitney topcase that is lockable, but putting bulky things in the topcase messes with the overall balance of the bike.
Ya hang on I'll post some pics

WERA West #116
Old 02-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
hbsoldier3
A Regular

Quote:
Ya hang on I'll post some pics
Here are some pics at the widest point it is 35 1/2" across
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00802.JPG (144.1 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00803.JPG (150.4 KB, 252 views)

WERA West #116
Old 02-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
Thomtom
A Regular

Locale: East TN
Postings: 61
Thomtom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlooklr View Post
with Pelican cases on my '08......tough racks, but I was not a fan of the Pelicans.....too heavy/stuff fell out, etc.
Stuff falling out?? Are we talking because of vibrations or what? It seems to me that those latches are bomb-proof, maybe im wrong
Thomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
lbowles2
A Regular

Locale: Topeka, KS
Postings: 41
lbowles2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This just made my decision for me

I just purchased my 09 KLR yesterday and was trying to decide what cases to go with. I really liked the looks of the SW Motech racks and Trax cases but for over $900 I figured there had to be a better choice. Then I found these... very nice... I think I will go with the 9" model though.

Thanks for the great thread!! So far I have been impressed with the forums and will probably be spending a fair amount of time lurking around... and asking a fair number of questions too

Keep the rubber side down!!
lbowles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
yoteslayer31@q.com
Occasional Poster

Well we will see when they come in. I was thinking of doing pelican case type foam on one side to keep things secure and protected like SPOT, jack daniels, etc... and on the other side make it open storage. Between these bad boys and an Action packer... I might be able to pack the whole house. Thanks all for the comments. I am looking forward to mounting them.

Bill
Old 03-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
AndreM
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2009
Locale: Newnan GA USA
Postings: 201
AndreM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHP View Post
I too have been fighting this desion for weeks. I finally went with the Action Packer from Walmart for 18.00 found here on this site. That gives me a fairly large secure areaa I can lock. Then I orderd Nelson Rigg cl-1000 soft bags for 63.00 (78.00 counting shipping) that have about 38 liters of space. I have already purchased the Cee Baily +10. Bar weights, new grips and 16 tooth sproket. Need to have some cash left to get to Alaska and back in July.

Hard Bags are nice though. So enjoy.

Any pictures you can share with the set up you have?
AndreM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #13
schmidtle

Super Cool Since: Oct 2007
Locale: Planet Earth
Postings: 424
schmidtle is on a distinguished road

Eh! Wrong...

Jesse is the only way to go (IMHO).

Best (strongest) mounting system out there:
https://www.dualsportplus.com/hard_lu...odyssey-2.html

Last edited by schmidtle; 03-01-2010 at 02:56 PM.
schmidtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
lbowles2
A Regular

Locale: Topeka, KS
Postings: 41
lbowles2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtle View Post
Eh! Wrong...

Jesse is the only way to go (IMHO).

Best (strongest) mounting system out there:
https://www.dualsportplus.com/hard_lu...odyssey-2.html
Those boxes look pretty nice... but $1295 + shipping for those.... or $640 shipped for the Happy Trails luggage. Yes the mounts and cases look pretty tough on the Jesse stuff but I just wouldn't be able to justify twice the expenditure. I would rather put the extra cash towards other items on my wishlist
lbowles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #15
schmidtle

Super Cool Since: Oct 2007
Locale: Planet Earth
Postings: 424
schmidtle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbowles2 View Post
Those boxes look pretty nice... but $1295 + shipping for those.... or $640 shipped for the Happy Trails luggage. Yes the mounts and cases look pretty tough on the Jesse stuff but I just wouldn't be able to justify twice the expenditure. I would rather put the extra cash towards other items on my wishlist

I understand your not wanting to pay twice the price. When I bought mine, they were ~$900. I spoke with Jesse when I bought mine and he said that he was selling the KLR panniers for less money, because he understood the average KLR rider was more, shall we say, "frugal" than the other dualsport brand riders. I guess he decided that we are not as frugal has he originally thought too.

I love my panniers and am glad I got them at the price that I did. I believe that the quality is superior to other panniers. However, if I had to pay the price you quoted, I might consider another brand.

Last edited by schmidtle; 03-01-2010 at 05:51 PM.
schmidtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #16
waterlooklr
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2004
Locale: Waterloo, Il
Postings: 901
waterlooklr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomtom View Post
Stuff falling out?? Are we talking because of vibrations or what? It seems to me that those latches are bomb-proof, maybe im wrong

Pelicans are side loaders.......as are Givis. Top loaders like the Happy Trails' bags are easier to load. At least the Givis on SW Motech racks are a simple quick detach----so, I can load them easily.
waterlooklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #17
hbsoldier3
A Regular

Quote:
Being that KLR owners are frugal, thats a nice why of putting it, In my case I'm just cheap, but I want the best bang for my buck, So I got these two cases here that I intend to use for top cases. $92 bucks for both shipped I gettum friday. They are from https://www.caseswholesale.com/

hhttps://www.seahorse.net/Products/hurricane/SE540/se-540.aspxttp://www.seahorse.net/Products/hurricane/SE540/se-540.aspx

WERA West #116
Old 03-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
hbsoldier3
A Regular

[quote=hbsoldier3;849599]Being that KLR owners are frugal, thats a nice why of putting it, In my case I'm just cheap, but I want the best bang for my buck, So I got these two cases here that I intend to use for top cases. $92 bucks for both shipped I gettum friday. They are from https://www.caseswholesale.com/

Sorry I screwed up the link, anyways they are the Seahorse 720 and 540 cases from https://www.caseswholesale.com/

WERA West #116
Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #19
hoosier40
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: TERRE HAUTE INDIANA
Postings: 65
hoosier40 is on a distinguished road

I pulled the trigger on some Happy Trails Panniers today. Combined out the door, $643 shipped to my door. I looked everywhere and am convinced that with everything combined, the price and quality cannot be beat!!
hoosier40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #20
hbsoldier3
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier40 View Post
I pulled the trigger on some Happy Trails Panniers today. Combined out the door, $643 shipped to my door. I looked everywhere and am convinced that with everything combined, the price and quality cannot be beat!!
Here is mine everything on it is Happy Trails

WERA West #116
Sponsored links

Tags
choice, make, pannier