SiteLock
Saturday trip to Cherry Lake - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Ride Reports, Photo & Video > Ride Reports & Trip Planning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Ride Reports & Trip Planning Are you ready for some great riding and adventure stories!?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
KLRfoto
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2009
Locale: Central Valley, CA
Postings: 241
KLRfoto is on a distinguished road
Default Saturday trip to Cherry Lake

I journeyed from the central valley up along the Tuolomne River with a final destination of Cherry Lake and Eleanor Lake right at the edge of Yosemite.

Started up the paved roads, J132, through Coulterville, up Smith Station to 120, left on Ferretti to NF-1N10 where the dirt started. This is the dirt road the river rafters take to get to the Tuolomne at Meral's Pool.

Nice clear day with touches of overcast near Cherry Lake - temps from about 75 in the valley to about 45 in the snow

Click the pics for a larger version

The little patch of white water directly above the front wheel is just before you reach Meral's Pool on the Tuolomne, and my first destination. Above the saddle bag you can see the dirt road I'll soon be on. And if you follow the "point" of the right rear mirror up to the snow capped peak - that's about where Hetch Hetchy would be

Melting snow is supplying many small temporary mini-falls along the the track and a few small creek like crossings in deep corners.
A short video

This is the spot of the Tuolomne you can see it the first photo (I think)
Video

After Meral's Pool at the bridge crossing

Up the other side NF-1N10, there where plenty of big rock falls, mud puddles, deep rain ruts, etc.

A nice feeder stream where I stopped for a snack and some water. I love the roar of the water in all these places.
A short video

The Rangers still have the Cherry Lake wilderness access closed. Damn.

Tried to get around to the trails above Cherry Lake by a different route. Gave up cause I don't ride so well in the snow.

Getting late in the day, so I headed back down on the paved Cherry Lake Rd. I stopped of at the Cherry Lake HydroPower Plant that feeds San Francisco - on a fork of the Tuolomne. Still Love the sound of the water.
A short video

Manzanita

Final Tuolomne crossing on Cherry Lake road

then I got back to the 120, back through Coulterville - to home just as the Sun set.

I had a great time. The river starting to show the signs of snow melt is pretty awesome.
So I take a different route or different bike on my daily rides.

2007 Black KLR 650, lightly farkled (so far)

A Few Trip Reports
To Vegas Via Death Valley report * One Day Dual Sport Trip to Cherry Lake * My First KLR Off-road Ride * July 4th in the Sierras

Last edited by KLRfoto; 03-22-2010 at 05:28 PM.
KLRfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
DaVeeDoeJayne
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: SW WA
Postings: 979
DaVeeDoeJayne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saturday trip to Cherry Lake

I love that part of California, I just live to far to get there much without taking extra time or planing a vacation around that area. I have backpacked into the Hetch Hetchy back country, very beautiful.
thanks for the pictures I enjoyed them.
DaVeeDoeJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
cherry, lake, saturday, trip