SiteLock
July 4th in the Sierras RR - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Ride Reports, Photo & Video > Ride Reports & Trip Planning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Ride Reports & Trip Planning Are you ready for some great riding and adventure stories!?

Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
KLRfoto
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2009
Locale: Central Valley, CA
Postings: 241
KLRfoto is on a distinguished road
Default July 4th in the Sierras RR

Over the long 4th of July weekend I got in some awesome riding. Most of it in the Sierra National Forest.

SPOT Track on Spotwalla
Map and Pics on SpotAdventures (Pics are placed by location on the map)

Click The Pics For Larger Versions

I left on early Friday, and rode the slab for a while and then headed east near Chowchilla (most famous for the school bus kidnapping) and took lonely back roads through the dry foothills. I found some easy dirt roads to get me over to North Fork where I stopped in to get some permits at the Pinecrest/Bass Lake District Ranger Station for the Sierra National Forest in North Fork.

There I talked with one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. I walked in the station door, where a couple of big ranger dudes were helping other people and she turns around and says, "How can I help you?" And I stood there stammering like the dipstick I am. I finally found my voice and told her what I wanted and asked my questions. And asked more questions. Then asked more questions. She answered everything completey, smiling and animated. By this time the other "campers" had left so it was just her talking with me staring and listening (and the rangers grinning behind her). I had run out of reasonable questions and the conversation was coming to an end. I must have had a look of disappointment on my face. One of the rangers, with a wink and big grin, asks, "Did you tell him about all the cool stops along the Scenic Byway?" "Oh, no, I didn't." she says, and launches in to ten minutes more. That grinning ranger has my heartfelt thanks.

I couldn't come up with a non-pervy way to get a photo of her, in the station or modeling with my KLR. Sorry. I'll go back and try again soon - just for my KLR friends.

Anyway, back to the ride.

Headed up Beasore Rd (they pronounced it Bay Shore). My first stop was at Globe Rock - I'll let you figure out why they call it that.

Portuguese Overlook looking over Sierra Nat. Forest land

A random road I followed for a bit. The weather and temperature were perfect as I rode through this amazing forest

Jackass Meadows at 7K feet. Beautiful and moist. I rode a little into it - eventually turing back to avoid getting stuck. It was so quiet and serene

I rode to the upper reaches of the Sierra Nat Forest, bordering on the John Muir Wilderness to visit Clover Meadows and Granite Creek. I got to ride some amazing dirt tracks here too. Sorry no pics.

The overflow at Mammoth Pool. There is so much water in the Sierras right now. Nearly all the lakes, rivers and streams are full or even overflowing. Many meadows are soaked through and creek crossings are more like river crossings.

I camped out for the first time in about 15 years. It was fun and I totaly enjoyed it. Stayed at the Soda Springs campground instead of the wilderness for this first time. Just seemed like a good idea. One thing of note, Mummy Bags Suck. Looks like I'll be replacing my brand new (cheap) mummy. Woke up constantly in a panic feeling trapped.

Redinger Lake Overlook 3320 feet

The exact center of California - located along Italian Bar Road (Rd 225)

Bridge and boats at Redinger Lake

Old Railroad Grade Road, looping up an through the mountains heading for Huntington Lake. You can see the previously travelled portion of the road in the back ground. Never did see any sign of a railroad though.

Much of this canyon and many of the lakes in this area are used in California's extensive hydroelectric power system. You randomly come across facilities and pipes in the middle of nowhere.

I like the forest - cool and calm.

Lake Thomas A Edison. A small lake located on a tiny finger of Sierra National Forest land surrounded by the awesomness of the John Muir Wilderness

Looking out southwestish at the John Muir Wilderness

The road I'm travelling, Kaiser Pass Road

Near Mono Hot Springs - poeple trying to kill themseleves via fast moving creek/river

John Muir Wilderness - looking northwest this time

From here, I rode back into civilization at Shaver Lake where I spent Saturday evening and Sunday with relatives at their Shaver cabin. Enjoyed their company and ridiculous amounts of food and drink. My parents even joined the party. Shaver put on a great fireworks show!

I road back to the central valley that evening, watching several fireworks displays as I exited the mountains and proceeded up the valley. It was a warm pleasent evening to be riding.

Monday was a quick ride up to Greely Hill. Where there is a FREE hidden cache of KLR trinkets if you can find it. Read

Then it was over.

Thanks for reading.

So I take a different route or different bike on my daily rides.

2007 Black KLR 650, lightly farkled (so far)

A Few Trip Reports
To Vegas Via Death Valley report * One Day Dual Sport Trip to Cherry Lake * My First KLR Off-road Ride * July 4th in the Sierras

Last edited by KLRfoto; 07-07-2010 at 11:09 PM.
KLRfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
NHESS81
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: Tracy, CA
Postings: 67
NHESS81 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: July 4th in the Sierras RR

Nice. I need to spoon on a 606 rear and mt21 front. Woulda loved to head up for some riding. As it was, on July 4th I went through Modesto on 132 up to La Grange and Cooperstown Road, but turned back cause my current rear tire was just sketchy and didn't feel like have a flat 25 miles down a dirt road...

I had been trying to meet up with stolentino in Lodi to get my tires on this week, but my inner tubes STILL haven't arrived and he is going up to the Sierras (trip call out is posted in the California section) this weekend as well. If I ever get my inner tubes and someone with the tools lined up, I ought to be going too.

Last edited by NHESS81; 07-08-2010 at 11:15 AM.
NHESS81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
KLRfoto
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHESS81 View Post
Nice. I need to spoon on a 606 rear and mt21 front. Woulda loved to head up for some riding. As it was, on July 4th I went through Modesto on 132 up to La Grange and Cooperstown Road, but turned back cause my current rear tire was just sketchy and didn't feel like have a flat 25 miles down a dirt road...

I had been trying to meet up with stolentino in Lodi to get my tires on this week, but my inner tubes STILL haven't arrived and he is going up to the Sierras (trip call out is posted in the California section) this weekend as well. If I ever get my inner tubes and someone with the tools lined up, I ought to be going too.
I've got the MT21 on my front right now. Really like it. Got it just before my Death Valley/Las Vegas trip. I was concerned about it with all the paved I was gonna need to ride for that trip, but it preformed great - street and dirt.

I've got a Kenda on the rear right now, and while it's great on the dirt and okay on the street - I'm no fan of it in the paved twisties (it "settles" in tight turns). I'm gonna try the 606 next (which will be soon).

Grab some tubes local (cycle gear? or probably most shops) - it's not worth missing a good ride and you'll use them all eventually.

Wish I was free this weekend, I'd try to join up with you and Stolentino.

Get those tubes and go riding!!

A Few Trip Reports
To Vegas Via Death Valley report * One Day Dual Sport Trip to Cherry Lake * My First KLR Off-road Ride * July 4th in the Sierras
Old 07-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
kzlr
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Nov 2007
Locale: El Dorado Hills, CA
Postings: 3,978
kzlr is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting! Well done. Pics and details are great, that's ride which could become an annual KLR tradition in CA...after all it's "equidistant" for everyone if we ride through the exact center of the state!
PS I am shocked you found a campsite in Yosemite area on July 4th...did you reserve well in advance?

KZ

I was lying when I said that.

08 - "Joker"

"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
kzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
KLRfoto
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzlr View Post
...ride which could become an annual KLR tradition in CA...after all it's "equidistant" for everyone if we ride through the exact center of the state!
That's an interesting thought. Might be a good starting point (the marker is in kind of a boring spot) for a ride into the Sierra Wildernesess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzlr View Post
PS I am shocked you found a campsite in Yosemite area on July 4th...did you reserve well in advance?
No reservations. Just headed for the hills and hoped for the best. The rangers wished me luck and told me to plan on wilderness camping. But I think they assumed I was camping all weekend. Because I was only staying Friday night it didn't seem to be a problem.

I cruised through a number of campgrounds as I went through the day, some reservable, and some not. The reserved space occupancy seemed 70% or less and in the non-reservable camps - they were50% or less occupied.

When I finally desided to stop 7pm-ish - I drove through 2 reservable sites both with plenty of open unreserved spaces. I finally picked Soda Springs Campground (not reservable). I had my pick of 6 open spaces out of the 15. Later that night, one more guy drove in. So 11 out of 15 were used that Friday night.

For the long 4th of July weekend - I was surprised there was anything. (But I don't know about Saturday night)

A Few Trip Reports

Last edited by KLRfoto; 07-12-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored links

Tags
4th, july, sierras