SiteLock
CBR1000RR front master cylinder upgrade review - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 First Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.
KLR650 First Generation 1987-2007 Related Topics

Old 07-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Yann
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2010
Locale: Québec, Canada
Postings: 130
Yann is on a distinguished road
Default CBR1000RR front master cylinder upgrade review

Hi,

Everyone knows that the stock brakes on the klr are weak and it takes forever to stop the bike. Lever often feels soft, SS brake lines doesn't always make a difference so after reading a couple lines from someone (forgot the nickname) who changed his stock front master cylinder to a cbr1000rr one, I decided to do it.

I bought the master from ebay, user maxsalvage for around 85$ shipped to my door (Canada). Everything was in great shape and fits perfectly on the handle bar. I also bought galfer SS front brake lines and the hose fits perfectly too. You just have to twist it a little bit. Also included is a new oil reservoir and gives a nice look!!

The bleeding process takes at least 5x less time. The hole in the banjo bolt is much bigger than the stock one, plus the cylinder is bigger so more pressure is applied to the caliper. I started pumping the brakes, opening closing the caliper's bleeder just as you would do with the stock master cylinder. When I felt the pressure coming up, the handle was still a bit soft, but there's a bleeder on the master cylinder too. Once you bleed this one, OMG!! The lever feels stiff and strong.

On the road, it's a new thing. I brake using 1 finger and it's plently of brake power. Using 4 fingers and pulling hard, I'm pretty sure I can lift the bike's big ass! I haven't tried it yet on gravel and off-road, but I'll have to be very careful.

My point of this review is instead of buying expensive front brake upgrade like a new rotor and calipers for like 300$, I paid 85$ for a decent brake upgrade. To be honest, I don't think the 18% more brake power claimed by the oversized rotor matches the braking power from the master cylinder of a cbr1000rr. There may be some other systems that work, but I guarantee you that this one definetly works and changes the way the klr stops.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Yann
Schnitz racing 685cc, EM: DOO, risers and subframe bolts, UNI filter, Dynojet, givi E460 w/ TT alu rack, HT SU rack, CBR1000 front brake master cylinder upgrade (a must!), BigGun full exhaust system, L-Mod, intake screen removed, shinko tires.
Yann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Granteezie
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Camano Island, Wa
Postings: 2,156
Granteezie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CBR1000RR front master cylinder upgrade review

pics?

did you order a KR SSbrake line?
Granteezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,146
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

That was I that posted my experiment with the CBR master. yup, it is night and day difference even with everything else stock KLR components i.e. 18yr old rubber brake hose and single piston caliper. I will be upgrading to SS line and over sized rotor on my second set of rims once I get them converted for street duty.

Just installed Highway Dirt Bike hand guards along with Acerbis clamps. Looks great and fit with only minor "adjusting". Not many KLR's sporting Radial Mstrs but man, what a joy to use!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Yann
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2010
Locale: Québec, Canada
Postings: 130
Yann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granteezie View Post
pics?

did you order a KR SSbrake line?
I've installed Galfer SS brake lines. I'll have pics tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
That was I that posted my experiment with the CBR master. yup, it is night and day difference even with everything else stock KLR components i.e. 18yr old rubber brake hose and single piston caliper. I will be upgrading to SS line and over sized rotor on my second set of rims once I get them converted for street duty.

Just installed Highway Dirt Bike hand guards along with Acerbis clamps. Looks great and fit with only minor "adjusting". Not many KLR's sporting Radial Mstrs but man, what a joy to use!
I'm glad you replied! I kinda went through the upgrade blindly, but I'm very happy with the results. Like you said, it is night and day difference! Thanks a lot for the input.

About the handguards, do you have any pics or link to the products? Do you know if the moose racing, maier or barkbusters would fit?

Yann
Schnitz racing 685cc, EM: DOO, risers and subframe bolts, UNI filter, Dynojet, givi E460 w/ TT alu rack, HT SU rack, CBR1000 front brake master cylinder upgrade (a must!), BigGun full exhaust system, L-Mod, intake screen removed, shinko tires.
Yann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yann View Post
I've installed Galfer SS brake lines. I'll have pics tomorrow.

I'm glad you replied! I kinda went through the upgrade blindly, but I'm very happy with the results. Like you said, it is night and day difference! Thanks a lot for the input.

About the handguards, do you have any pics or link to the products? Do you know if the moose racing, maier or barkbusters would fit?

Yann
I had these on my CRF and switched them over. The Maier, Moose and Barkbusters are similar and should fit just fine. Seems the KLR requires a bit of adjustment no matter which ones you go with. Due to the Radial I had to turn the lever down some but shouldn't be too much work to get some other brands to work. I had to shorten up the HDB bars by an inch then used an Acerbis Rally Pro 7/8" mounts. For the bar end I always use a threaded insert.

https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...ccp0&ns=splash

Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
roger'sklr

Super Cool Since: Mar 2009
Locale: corona ca
Postings: 371
roger'sklr is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: CBR1000RR front master cylinder upgrade review

cool hand guards with mirrows intragated.
roger'saklr
roger'sklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
roger'sklr

Super Cool Since: Mar 2009
Locale: corona ca
Postings: 371
roger'sklr is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: CBR1000RR front master cylinder upgrade review

Would also be interested in the brake up grade?
roger'sklr
roger'sklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
ATTICus Finch
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2009
Locale: Highland Village, Tx
Postings: 60
ATTICus Finch is on a distinguished road

What are the years to get it off of?
ATTICus Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTICus Finch View Post
What are the years to get it off of?

Here you go.... https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81262
Sponsored links

Tags
cbr1000rr, cylinder, front, master, review, upgrade