SiteLock
Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Great Lakes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Cannonshot
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Aug 2009
Locale: SE WI
Postings: 3
Cannonshot is on a distinguished road
Default Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail

I mapped out a ride that would be a good one for a group of KLR riders. The route loops the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and runs around 1250 miles. There are some "go-arounds" built into the route to avoid some sand or difficult sections that give options to keep this a comfortable but challenging and interesting ride for a variety of riders.

I've posted a GPS track for download here.

A ride report that has pictures of the trail surfaces, scenery, and points of interest is posted here.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
CHARLIE2744
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Toledo OH
Postings: 1,532
CHARLIE2744 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail

Great looking route. We did close to this very route this past spring.
I might add 1 stop to your trip that we did and was worth the price of addmission. Pt. Abby this was one of the coolest stops we made.
Google it and you will see exactly where it is. Add this for a cool place to see.
"All of us, at some point in our lives are faced with something that we didn't expect and never wanted. What defines us, I think, is what we do with those things that life gives us. Very often whether we are cursed or blessed is simply a matter of choosing."

"One cannot tell how fast one can ride until one crashes".
-Unknown
CHARLIE2744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Cannonshot
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Aug 2009
Locale: SE WI
Postings: 3
Cannonshot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLIE2744 View Post
Great looking route. We did close to this very route this past spring.
I might add 1 stop to your trip that we did and was worth the price of addmission. Pt. Abby this was one of the coolest stops we made.
Google it and you will see exactly where it is. Add this for a cool place to see.
Yes, Point Abbaye is a nice place to visit. I have it included on one of my other UP tracks that I share. Actually I have a few thousand miles of UP tracks I share but thought this one would be good for a lot of KLR riders that enjoy dirt and gravel but don't want to fight the sand a lot. I left Point Abbaye off because it was an out and back run and I was trying to keep the time manageable to cover the track.

I have several versions of a more dirt bike oriented version of this that I have been using over the years when I host the 19 rider CannonTreks in the UP. In fact, we had some people tackle that on KLRs over the years (including the single track).

I should have mentioned that this ride can be divided over a couple of long weekends riding the east and west loops separately.

Last edited by Cannonshot; 01-02-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
CHARLIE2744
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Toledo OH
Postings: 1,532
CHARLIE2744 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Yes, Point Abbaye is a nice place to visit. I have it included on one of my other UP tracks that I share. Actually I have a few thousand miles of UP tracks I share but thought this one would be good for a lot of KLR riders that enjoy dirt and gravel but don't want to fight the sand a lot. I left Point Abbaye off because it was an out and back run and I was trying to keep the time manageable to cover the track.

I have several versions of a more dirt bike oriented version of this that I have been using over the years when I host the 19 rider CannonTreks in the UP. In fact, we had some people tackle that on KLRs over the years (including the single track).

I should have mentioned that this ride can be divided over a couple of long weekends riding the east and west loops separately.
Good to read. Maybe I'll take you up on that some time.
I have read your postings on ADV and have enjoyed them.
I for one am a bit worn out and don't know how much single track I can do.
"All of us, at some point in our lives are faced with something that we didn't expect and never wanted. What defines us, I think, is what we do with those things that life gives us. Very often whether we are cursed or blessed is simply a matter of choosing."

"One cannot tell how fast one can ride until one crashes".
-Unknown
CHARLIE2744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
sngltrk

Super Cool Since: Dec 2007
Locale: N.E. of Hell Mi, USA
Postings: 128
sngltrk is on a distinguished road

Excellent work Cannonshot.

Enjoy your RR's on ADV, especially the historical content. Keep up the good work!
sngltrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
adventure, peninsula, trail, upper