SiteLock
Is the KLR Dash worth the money? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
09KLR650

Super Cool Since: Apr 2009
Locale: Portland OR
Postings: 390
09KLR650 is on a distinguished road
Default Is the KLR Dash worth the money?

I am looking into getting this but wondered what people think. I like the look with the double bubble but is it functional.

Thanks!
2009 KLR650 - Progressive springs -TG rear spring - HT fork brace - HT panniers - Tall wind screen - shanko tires - HT engine guard - HT fairing guard - rear brake gaurd - rasied 1" - center stand - LED fog light - LED pannier lights - LED tail lights - LED blinker running lights - HID headlight - exhaust mod - Sargent seat - 685 - Doo Hickey - fender brace - gel battery - power outlet
09KLR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Swiftbow
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Oct 2003
Locale: Santa Fe, NM: North of Spoonbooty
Postings: 4,111
Swiftbow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is the KLR Dash worth the money?

link, name ... description?

Doug
Old 01-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
09KLR650

www.unauthorized-advertiser.com
2009 KLR650 - Progressive springs -TG rear spring - HT fork brace - HT panniers - Tall wind screen - shanko tires - HT engine guard - HT fairing guard - rear brake gaurd - rasied 1" - center stand - LED fog light - LED pannier lights - LED tail lights - LED blinker running lights - HID headlight - exhaust mod - Sargent seat - 685 - Doo Hickey - fender brace - gel battery - power outlet
Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
willys
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jan 2006
Locale: padded room
Postings: 12,158
willys is on a distinguished road

comes down to personal preferance IMHO
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Swiftbow
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Oct 2003
Locale: Santa Fe, NM: North of Spoonbooty
Postings: 4,111
Swiftbow is on a distinguished road

First I've seen or heard of it. There's a regular here that makes a dash that he sells periodically on ebay. The original, first dash is the Duchin Dash but I don't believe Jay has made an update for the modern klr? There's also been numerous diy posts on dashes, that's the reason I requested some clarification. Hopefully, someone will give some feedback but from the picture, looks good!

Doug
Old 01-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
CalebIB
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2010
Locale: Littleton, CO
Postings: 118
CalebIB is on a distinguished road

I just installed one and I like the added room but I think it's a little wobbly once it has some weight on it. I am going to add some brackets to the back side of it to tie it into the windscreen risers. I'll weld the bracket to the risers then run a bolt through the dash into the bracket. I still need to decide on the location of some switches and a few other things then paint it.

CalebIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
BAMBAM650
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Cincinnati, OH
Postings: 782
BAMBAM650 is on a distinguished road

I also have the riser and dash kit. I installed the risers, but haven't installed the dash yet. The way the dash plate attaches to the intrument panel is a little funky as Caleb pointed out. I couldn't get the bolts to thread into the instrument panel. I may need longer bolts. I agree it's also a little wobbly and could benefit from an additional bracket support on the windshield side. But to answer your question, yes I think it's worth it. Just expect to do a little fussing to get it installed and secured properly. You'll also need to paint the parts because they come shipped with a flat black primer coat. Be nice if they came powder coated.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
09KLR650

excellent, thanks. Does the top of the panel show? What I mean is, can you see into the headlight area from the seat?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
CalebIB
A Regular

No, you can't see the back of the headlights from the seat. You can see through the windscreen from in front of the bike and see the back of the dash so I painted the inside of the windscreen flat black. It's non-reflective from the seat but from the front it looks glossy.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
schiessco
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: North Hills, CA
Postings: 1,096
schiessco is on a distinguished road

I bought the risers only and I think it's an A idea with a C+ execution. The KLR fairing is curved but the bottom of the riser is flat, and mine took quite a bit of force to get lined up. The top of the panel does show if you don't use the dash; since I'm using the risers only I laid up a fiberglass cover to keep everything looking tidy.

With the stock windshield I get some buffeting across the top of the windshield, but it goes away if I tuck down an inch or so. A taller windshield should take care of that. I really notice the effect when I'm in traffic, turning my head before I change lanes - the wind used to really grab my helmet (Shoei Hornet) but now I can turn my head easily. That alone make the product worth it IMHO.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6869.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	35018  
schiessco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
CalebIB
A Regular

I went a slightly different route, I bought the dash but I made my own risers. I will be making a panel to cover the opening above the headlights. The risers along with the tall windscreen and laminar lip have made for almost zero wind buffeting. I'm 6' 4" and wear an Aria XD3 helmet, at over 70 mph I can turn my head side to side with no pulling and sitting straight upright I can feel just the tiniest bit of buffeting on the top of my helmet. If I crouch about an inch, it's perfectly calm.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
09KLR650

Man, you did a good job on that cover, looks like carbon fiber. You should go to them and offer to sell it them as part of the kit!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
lambo84
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2010
Locale: ohio
Postings: 76
lambo84 is on a distinguished road

I instauled both riser and dash.it vibrates the dash that is.very bad ,it does need back or side supports. I put a pc of foam between riser and dash to stop vibration.I use a zero grvity touring screen works good ,but when its cold a little taller screen would be better,I'm 6'3"'I will cut new dash out of thicker matieral and bend some tabs for extra support,also add sun shield for gps thats mounted to dash
lambo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #14
kuri77

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: Orange County, Ca
Postings: 1,088
kuri77 is on a distinguished road

I have dash, risers that I added L brackets to support more and a laminar lip. The wind buffeting is non-existent but the dash still won't support my gps without severe vibration. Just sent away for the handlebar ram mount. I do have a 12v plug in the dash and a pen with pad for those "I have an idea now but if I don't write it down right now it won't be there when I get home" moments. Think I'd still buy it in retrospect but would have save the money on the gps mount. Anything heavier than a feather is gonna vibrate on that dash. I have the other dash that mounts to the forks and have a 12v on that but it's pretty useless, not because of vibration but because of thin, weak, not big enough to mount much. Wish I'd seen the big one first and saved some more money.
kuri77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
UTAH BUZZARD
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Feb 2008
Locale: UTAH 643 miles N w of spoonbooty
Postings: 1,466
UTAH BUZZARD is on a distinguished road

Here are some from Happy trails....
https://www.happytrails/KLR650/Dash-Panel-KLR650A.aspx
and...
https://www.happytrails/KLR650/Dash-Panel-KLR650E.aspx
add some Bling...
https://www.happytrails/Digital-5-Function-Meter.aspx
Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
kc7pwx

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: Bothell, Wa
Postings: 438
kc7pwx is on a distinguished road

Has anyone installed this dash without using the windsheild riser and if so what windsheild did you use?
I want to eventually use this dash but from the pictures I have seen I do not like the look of the risers.
kc7pwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 AM   #17
lambo84
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc7pwx View Post
Has anyone installed this dash without using the windsheild riser and if so what windsheild did you use?
I want to eventually use this dash but from the pictures I have seen I do not like the look of the risers.

won't fit with out risers.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 AM   #18
lambo84
A Regular

risers work dash vibrates alot,heres mine with risers and zero grvity touring screen,won't buy dash again risers yes

Last edited by lambo84; 01-27-2011 at 03:19 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 01-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #19
deputyjones
Not REALLY a deputy
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2009
Locale: USA
Postings: 85
deputyjones is on a distinguished road

I suppose it's personal preference, but the dash the OP refers to just seems HUGE to me. Everytime I see it I think, "why the long face?"

I like the happy trails dash and have heard good things. It will probably find a place on my bike in the near future.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #20
UTAH BUZZARD
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Feb 2008
Locale: UTAH 643 miles N w of spoonbooty
Postings: 1,466
UTAH BUZZARD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputyjones View Post
I suppose it's personal preference, but the dash the OP refers to just seems HUGE to me. Everytime I see it I think, "why the long face?"

I like the happy trails dash and have heard good things. It will probably find a place on my bike in the near future.
I've been thinking about it also
Sponsored links

Tags
dash, klr, money, worth