SiteLock
Bajaworx Dakar Wind Screen Review - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
GeoBeemer

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: Northern Illinois
Postings: 277
GeoBeemer is on a distinguished road
Default Bajaworx Dakar Wind Screen Review

Ok folks this is my first review of a product on the KLR650.net forum so be gentle with me.....

In 2010 a friend of mine and I both purchased a 2009 KLR650 to be used specifically for the Trans-America Trail (TAT). After all it is safer to ride with someone and to be able to share parts and knowledge is invaluable. The posts on this forum convinced me that for the cost of a KLR and what it can do once modified a little was definitely the way to go.

I did most of the usual mods and purchased many products from the vendors who support this site and are friends to many of you. Hopefully I made a friend here and there in the process as well and am very happy with the products. Some of the additions have been tested quite well, unintentionally which is of course what some of these products are for. (Thanks EM and JNS)

In my search I could not find a Wind Screen (windshield) that I felt completely comfortable with. I have been through this drill multiple times like many of you and for the KLR I wanted something that would break up the wind (as much as can be on such a bike), provide good visibility above and through the windshield, and most importantly was durable. Many windshields were considered and I even called a couple vendors to hear the pros and cons of each product. There are many choices and I believe it all comes down to what you want the windshield for. For me it is practicality for my type of riding which changes from mood to mood, year to year.

After reading and asking questions on the "Roll Call on different Wind Screens" thread I decided to contact Gerald at Bajaworx regarding the Dakar Windshield. The windshield was just about done with its design and prototype builds phase and was ready for a stranger to put it through its paces. We talked a couple times and he sent me out a prototype to test with. I was fortunate that I still had cold weather to ride in and I was headed to the TN TAT just after Easter. (Can you say LOTS OF RAIN)

Let’s start with how it was received:

It was packaged well and since I am pro-America I loved the "Made In the U.S.A." sticker right when you open the package. From what I understand these are designed, manufactured and packaged in the U.S.A. The windshield was well protected with regular bubble wrap and then the white foam. Upon opening up the white foam you will find the mounting kit and the windshield. All appeared to be of high quality.

View of Windshield right out of the box, front and side view. One thing I noticed right away was the lack of the black shading that hides the back of the dash. I contacted Bajaworx and they explained that the production units will have the bottom blacked out.

Compared to stock the Dakar is much taller but not too tall as you will see in the next photo.

The photo on the left is while looking straight while sitting on the seat, the one on the right is looking straight down at the dash. I am 6 foot tall with a 34” inseam and I sit pretty straight for reference. Obviously my view was not impaired no matter where I looked.

The only modification I had to make after install was to cut the “fins” off the fairing and this was a pretty simple task. Gerald gave me this information in advance but I waited until I was ok with keeping it mounted.

While testing my new to me trailer I mounted the bike and took it for a ride. Well the bike fell over while crusin’ down the road. Yes, Fell to the point that the bike was resting on the brand new windshield upside down. Let’s just say I was not very happy but I did learn a few very valuable things. 1: Crash Guards and saddle bag mounts are invaluable! 2: The Dakar windshield can bend quite a bit without breaking!

Once I pulled the bike back on its legs the windshield bounced right back into place but did have a few battle scars. Many of the scars were buffed out by hand and from the riding position was not very noticeable unless you focused on it. In short, I just met one of my requirements without trying, Durability.

Photo was taken before buffing.

More to come.....
Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
kc7pwx

Locale: Bothell, Wa
Postings: 436
kc7pwx is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bajaworx Dakar Wind Screen Review

Thank you for posting a review of the wind sheild. I will be looking forward to reading more about how the wind sheild works for you and anyone else that has bought this wind sheild as I am contemplating getting this wind sheild when I am ready to upgrade my wind sheild.
kc7pwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
Ratking
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2011
Locale: Lebanon, Indiana
Postings: 163
Ratking is on a distinguished road

Keep it coming, really interested in this shield.

Ratking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
sturmgewehr
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2009
Locale: Olathe, KS
Postings: 96
sturmgewehr is on a distinguished road

I can't wait to buy one of these in smoke color! This thing looks great.

PS.... Dark Smoke would be even better.

Last edited by sturmgewehr; 05-11-2011 at 11:05 PM.
sturmgewehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
RustyShackleford
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Feb 2011
Locale: Riverside, NJ
Postings: 974
RustyShackleford is on a distinguished road

I don't want the dash blacked out. I would like one in clear blue.
-- 2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 BLUE CLUB MEMBER #177!! --Slide-KLX-pilot-142.5 Jet-Snorkle-Subframe
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
GeoBeemer

Default Bajaworx Dakar Wind Screen Review - Part 2

Part 2

The first test ride occurred when it was still cool out and if I remember correctly it was 37 deg F. I opted to take my first test ride with the stock windshield and paid close attention to wind. The biggest thing I noticed was that the wind was hitting me directly in the neck. It was cold! I made it home quickly and switched the windshield to the Dakar. Back on the road I noticed that my neck was not getting hit with direct wind and what a relief it was. The wind at 50 mph was still there but it seemed dispersed around me, or above me.

Let me try to explain. Usually you feel direct wind from somewhere, side, front, bottom etc. In this situation you ‘feel’ the wind but it is not direct from anywhere in particular, more like a breeze. There was no buffeting, no cold wind on my neck or my face and it was quieter. That thumper sounds great without the harsh wind noise!! I moved forward close to the windshield and the wind essentially went away like most windshields. I moved back as far as I could and seemed to remain in a pocket. I lifted myself up a couple inches and no change. I did start to notice wind on my forehead when I lifted myself up about 4 inches but no buffeting. As a matter of fact I could go from sitting to standing and did not feel any buffeting. This was a strange experience for me and one I could get used to and will. Another one of my criteria was met, breaking up the wind more than expected.

Here’s a view of a stock windshield on a 2009 KLR and the Dakar windshield on my black 2009 KLR. As you can see the height is nice and it looks pretty clean on the bike.

For reference I tried riding with both my Shoei RF1000 and my Shoei Hornet DS. I was wondering how the visor would do on the Hornet and luckily it passed with flying colors, even at 75 mph. I did notice more drag when turning my head at high speeds with the Hornet but I kind of expected that.

While riding in TN on the TAT we noticed something kind of important. The Dakar windshield was doing a good job at keeping the dust out of my helmet as well as the bugs! However my buddy did not like eating the dirt from my bike that the stocker allowed to be directed under his helmet..lol. The drawback however is that you get more bugs on your windshield. Prior to getting a windshield full of bugs I could clearly see through the windshield when necessary. For the most part I still look over the shield. The final criteria was met, a clear view through and around the windshield.
What else can I say, the windshield performed better than I expected. I will be buying a tinted windshield when available and my riding buddy will be buying one as well. Hopefully I was able to fill in some questions regarding this windshield that you might have had. If not let me know and I will do my best to explain my experiences to date.

I have no affiliation to Bajaworx for the record. I just needed a new windshield and they were willing to let me have a go at it. I felt horrible scratching up the loaned windshield but it was a “real world” test.

Here is the final assembly if your interested:

Old 05-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
GeoBeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgewehr View Post
I can't wait to buy one of these in smoke color! This thing looks great.

PS.... Dark Smoke would be even better.

I agree that Dark Smoke would be the best but when I asked it sounded like a light smoke and clear were the only 2 currently being offered. The light smoke is what I will be buying as well.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
smootz
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2010
Locale: southern ohio
Postings: 144
smootz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. I am also 6-0 tall with a 34" inseam and even tend to ride upright like yourself. I bought a Kawa tall and experienced lots of "roar". I bolted on a Zero-Gravity that belongs to a friend and got the same. Now I am back to the stocker.

Just for reference, I have put about 10K on the bike since September and gave each shield several hundred miles of trial.

If this Dakar shield is the cure for the "roar" and turbulence I can't wait to try one.

2000 tired R1100RT
2009 "perky" KLR
www.mootzwelding.com
smootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
rlblooze
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2008
Locale: Northern Central Indiana
Postings: 64
rlblooze is on a distinguished road

How high does this windshield extend, measured from the top of the OEM dash to the top of the wind screen?
rlblooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Slippery
A Regular

Locale: Pocono's
Postings: 83
Slippery is on a distinguished road

Come on Gerald!!! Get the smoke ones ready for all of us impatient Kows!!
Slippery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
c18797
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Feb 2011
Locale: Chaska, MN
Postings: 3
c18797 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bajaworx Dakar Wind Screen Review - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoBeemer View Post
Part 2

While riding in TN on the TAT we noticed something kind of important. The Dakar windshield was doing a good job at keeping the dust out of my helmet as well as the bugs! However my buddy did not like eating the dirt from my bike that the stocker allowed to be directed under his helmet..lol.
Haha. I didnt think it was funny!. choke.
c18797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
GeoBeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlblooze View Post
How high does this windshield extend, measured from the top of the OEM dash to the top of the wind screen?
It looks like it is about 4" taller. The problem is the way to measure since I am not taking the new one off just yet. The stock goes back toward the rider and the Dakar goes up at the edge of the dash. Side by side the best I can tell is about 4". It sure looks like more when comparing the bikes side by side.

I forgot to mention that the Dakar has a bit of a laminar lip towards the top. I think this may be the key along with the height that gives it its wind characteristics. Just a guess but something has to be moving the air........
Old 05-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
Mr.Dull
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2010
Locale: Montrose, PA
Postings: 53
Mr.Dull is on a distinguished road

Hi GEO, really appreciate the review .

BTW, how do you like your BMW 1150 GS, and what do you do with it versus the KLR ? Was thinking of getting a 1200GS for dirt roads and street.
Mr.Dull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
GeoBeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dull View Post
Hi GEO, really appreciate the review .

BTW, how do you like your BMW 1150 GS, and what do you do with it versus the KLR ? Was thinking of getting a 1200GS for dirt roads and street.
Mr.D, I love using the GS for the long distance rides around the country. When off the main road I can still ride gravel and/or trails without worrying about clearance. My primary riding buddies for long trips take bikes with lots of plastic and worry about gravel and all things off road. Sometimes they go with me and sometimes they take a brake and I go explore. They are great guys to ride with. When they want to run fast I say go, I will catch up with you later.

I like the KLR for tighter and rougher situations so far. The 50 mpg is a real plus but I still need to change the horn to make it usable in traffic as well as the suspension. I happen to bottom out the the bike while riding the flooded TN TAT 2 weeks ago. The KLR was bought to ride the TAT, TWT and other off track experiences. From what I hear I need to go out and ride in the Moab one spring as well. It is all on my list.......

Last edited by GeoBeemer; 05-12-2011 at 07:08 PM.
GeoBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
mojo43
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2009
Locale: Canada
Postings: 103
mojo43 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoBeemer View Post
Part 2

What kind of bags are those???
mojo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #16
Ratking
A Regular

Locale: Lebanon, Indiana
Postings: 163
Ratking is on a distinguished road

Looks like Wolfman side and tank bags. dunno about the tail bag.

Later
RK
Ratking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #17
GeoBeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratking View Post
Looks like Wolfman side and tank bags. dunno about the tail bag.

Later
RK

Correct! The tail bag is the classic JCWhitney one.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
superfunkomatic
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Dec 2010
Locale: calgary
Postings: 9
superfunkomatic is on a distinguished road

I'm 6'1" and have had a tough time finding a windscreen that works. The stock sends air under my chin (really loud), the Zero Gravity Touring shield creates 'booming', and I can't stand up all day on the highway. ;) I've even switched helmets from a HJC CL-SP to a Shoei RF1100. No dice. I just purchased one of these and will give it a go.
superfunkomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #19
mojo43
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2009
Locale: Canada
Postings: 103
mojo43 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
I'm 6'1" and have had a tough time finding a windscreen that works. The stock sends air under my chin (really loud), the Zero Gravity Touring shield creates 'booming', and I can't stand up all day on the highway. ;) I've even switched helmets from a HJC CL-SP to a Shoei RF1100. No dice. I just purchased one of these and will give it a go.

Try the KLR risers. They worked for me. It basically gets the shield at a different angle. I was just about going mad until I found these. I just bought the risers and put a zero gravity shield on top and it's perfect. I can hear the tires roar louder than the wind!
mojo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
GeoBeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
Super,
I was out working on the bike today doing the .22 cent mod. Of course when I was done I had to take it for a quick ride. I did a bad thing and did not wear a helmet or glasses but I did get some more information about this windshield. I only took the bike up to 55 mph and believe it or not did not "feel" that I had to close my eyes with the wind. It really does just present a breeze instead of the direct flow to the neck or face.

I also noticed that the "breeze" pocket is about the width of my shoulders. This is ok with me if it keeps direct wind off my face.

The next ride on the public street I did wear ATGATT and as usual the bike performed well.

Cheers.

Tags
bajaworx, dakar, review, screen, wind