SiteLock
What are the very best street tires for a KLR-650? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 First Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.
KLR650 First Generation 1987-2007 Related Topics

Old 06-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
SeventhFleet
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2003
Postings: 203
SeventhFleet is on a distinguished road
Default What are the very best street tires for a KLR-650?

I own an 05 KLR-650 that I bought new after I retired in June of that year. It presently has a bit less than 3k miles and the tires are beginning to need replacement. I want the advice of the forum on what are the best street tires to put on a KLR that will only be ridden on the streets.

The one time that I took my KLR off the road, I told myself, never again. The thing is an absolute beast in the rough woods riding environment around here. I have other far better dirt oriented machinery in my stable, for an old guy to have to worry about manhandling the heavy KLR around...

Besides I still think that my red/black KLR is too pretty to mistreat by banging it around like that in the woods. She doesn't have a scratch on her and she's never been rained on, or left out in the sun for her lovely paint and plastic to fade to pink.

My primary requirements in a street tire, are extended tread life, with decent adhesion on asphalt. I really don't want to spend a fortune on tires for the KLR because I have ten bikes plus a Kawasaki 4 wheeler in my stable, which explains the low mileage on my KLR for an 05 model. My grown sons also have several Kawasaki and Suzuki dirt bikes that are kept here at our place, so there is no shortage of dirt equipment to ride.

I am an absolute fool for Kawasaki KZ1000LTDs as well as KZ1000 standards, built between 77-80 and I have five of them, all in fine condition. I also have a 79 SR-500 Yamaha thumper street bike that's probably the most fun bike that I own. I also have have several sweet 60s Triumph 650s and a carefully restored 70 Triumph Trophy 250 that is gorgeous. Before retirement I built a large steel, insulated Butler type building with a 10x10 roll up door to keep all of my man toys safe, secure and dry from the elements.

Thanks in advance for any advice you folks may come up with on a complete set of good street tires. Due to encroaching age, with its attendant aches and pains, these will probably be the last tires that I put on my KLR before I check out of the net and I want a good set. Please include links to any recommended tires, and pics/prices if available.

FYI, I became a member of this forum long before I ever bought my KLR back in 05 and you guys were the primary reason for me choosing a KLR-650 a the first place. Keep up the good work in helping to spread the word to the masses on the magnificent KLR-650...

Thanks for your help and attention in this matter... 7th
Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
willys
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jan 2006
Locale: padded room
Postings: 12,158
willys is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What are the very best street tires for a KLR-650?

Damn man! This is like poking a hornet's nest, oil and tires and what is best,

I'll start....Kenda 761
Search the other tire threads as they, I have sprouted off about them many many times before. I run with nothing else and love them, cheap and last a long long time, keep the pressures up to 32F/34R and they are great!

OK.....who's next>....?????
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,147
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

Round ones that hold air.

Don't neuter the bike. TKC 80s

Anakees

have a nice D/S look and perform well on the street. Heck the D606s work great too - and give you the 4 x4 howl.

Seeing as you are going to drive it like an old man, it don't really matter.

I'm kiddn' you know.

I have a fresh set of K761s installed for my DC living and they are doing well. TKC 80s are next on my list of tires I'm working through.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 Adv
Photobucket hosted Photo library is gone, account is closed.

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen

Last edited by Tumbleweed; 06-14-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
klr4evr

Super Cool Since: Jan 2006
Locale: Alberta, Canada
Postings: 627
klr4evr is on a distinguished road

Kenda 761's
Shinko 705"s
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "
klr4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Whitebread
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2011
Locale: Western NC
Postings: 187
Whitebread is on a distinguished road

761s for pavement only. Cheap and long lasting, very confidence inspiring on asphalt (not so much offroad).

Might you be the same SeventhFleet on a particular squirrel forum?
Whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
SeventhFleet
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread View Post
761s for pavement only. Cheap and long lasting, very confidence inspiring on asphalt (not so much offroad).

Might you be the same SeventhFleet on a particular squirrel forum?
Absolutely, the one and the same....

7th
Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Whitebread
A Regular

Locale: Western NC
Whitebread is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFleet View Post
Absolutely, the one and the same....

7th
Thought you might be - lurked there for years, joined a year or two ago and still lurk but rarely post. Wealth of information though. From that standpoint 761 is hard to beat. Very cost effective, long lasting, very good on pavement, and if you find yourself needing to go through the woods you have a good chance of staying upright unlike many of the other street tires.

Good choice on the bike. Most of us choose KLRs because we need one bike to do it all effectively and cheaply. Seems like you don't have that concern, but they are truly the Universal Japanese Motorcycle.
Whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Notsofast71
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Thibodaux, LA
Postings: 1,058
Notsofast71 is on a distinguished road

I have the Michellin Anakee 2's. They sell for about $110-130 front/rear, but are supposed to have amazing mileage. 12k plus, according to lots of reviews. They handle great on the dry pavement, and are supposed to be about the best in the rain, though it hasn't rained here in the 3 months I have had them installed.

www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com

2011 KLR, E.M. Doohickey, Progressive fork springs, Seat Concepts seat w/ firm foam, Anakee 2 tires, Z.G. Sport Touring windshield, KTM Supermoto front fender.
Notsofast71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
spoonykiller

Super Cool Since: Oct 2008
Locale: Winters CA
Postings: 449
spoonykiller is on a distinguished road

I LOVE my Avon Gripsters. They have last 14,000 miles front and rear. That is with 95% road & 5% dirt. Here are 3 different places with these tires for sale. Bike Bandit - Cyclegear - Motorcycle Superstore. I have posted links to each ones page that has the Avon Gripsters on them!! I hope this helps!!!!! Just so you know with these tires you can wear the "NEW NUBBINS" of of the whole tire with no chicken strips!!!!!

https://www.bikebandit.com/search-pro...238+4294967284
https://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=TUC_30-5210_G
https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Motocross.aspx

~Spoonykiller~

PS

What squirrel forum is it if I may ask? I am a life long hunter and like finding new people to hunt with & new places to hunt!!!!!

And Remember to Check Your Oil !
spoonykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
Johnny Wonderbread
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Oct 2006
Locale: Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes)
Postings: 4,506
Johnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of light

I have not had street tires on mine since I bought it in 06... but the stockers were not all that bad.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
vforce800
Occasional Poster

Locale: Cincinnati
Postings: 5
vforce800 is on a distinguished road

I just put on a set of MEFO Explorers. They handle like full on street tires. At 41lbs pressure they have a fast turn in like a sport bike tire. really quick to lean and plus they have an excellent 50/50 tread so you can still do a lot of off road, they are no good in THICK mud, but for everything else; including street, they are really, really hard to beat.

They feel really stable at full lean with no squirming. They also softened the ride. The stock suspension feels better in conjunction with the Explorers. I can hit the sloped lip of my drive way at 20mph and the suspension makes a nice squish sound and rolls right over it with out any drama or harshness and I am 240lbs. MEFO Explorers are some awesome tires.
vforce800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
mikehailwood

Postings: 659
mikehailwood is on a distinguished road

Shinko 705, Kenda 761 and Avon Distanzia have similar patterns (street oriented). I have not run the Shinko but it has received mostly favorable comments. One recent negative regarding a failure of some sort. I have run the rear Kenda which I liked and it lasted close to 9,000 miles. Quite a few people did not like it on wet pavement. I have run the Avon rear which lasted a little over 10,000 miles. No problems and seemed good in the rain to me. Shinko and Kenda are considerably less expensive.
mikehailwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,147
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

Top quality Silica compound tires are great. Anakee was one of the first, really like my set. I've been working my way through the cheap tires, which all are fine, but not the same as the Anakee.

The question is "Are the Anakee/Distanza/Tourance worth 2-3 times the price of a Kenda?" hmm I'm working on that.

Like I said, TKCs next - I'm headed back up the quality chain.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 Adv
Photobucket hosted Photo library is gone, account is closed.

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
mikehailwood

Postings: 659
mikehailwood is on a distinguished road

Price/Quality........where do YOU draw the line? There is no RIGHT answer. Just get the facts, figure out your priorities and make the choice that fits YOU.
mikehailwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
trainman

Super Cool Since: Dec 2006
Locale: Ft. Worth, Texas
Postings: 715
trainman is on a distinguished road

I had Dunlop 607's on two KLR's, or I should have said, I put one set of Dunlop 607's on two KLR's. Probably had 4000 miles on them and still the tread was good for a couple of thousand more when I sold the bike. I would buy another set if I wanted a street tire for the KLR. One note here, I did take the KLR off road with these tires, but just dirt roads and no mud, did ok at controlled speeds.

John
Old 06-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #16
gbynum
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Locale: upstate SC
Postings: 137
gbynum is on a distinguished road

Bridgestone Battlax BT45 meet the "silica" mentioned by Tumbleweed and street mentioned by you ... a dual compound tire. and bias, not radial. The KLR comes with bias, and I was more comfortable not changing.
gbynum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
Human Ills

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Santa Rosa California
Postings: 576
Human Ills is on a distinguished road

I love the pirelli scorpions for the street.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
SeventhFleet
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonykiller View Post
I LOVE my Avon Gripsters. They have last 14,000 miles front and rear. That is with 95% road & 5% dirt. Here are 3 different places with these tires for sale. Bike Bandit - Cyclegear - Motorcycle Superstore. I have posted links to each ones page that has the Avon Gripsters on them!! I hope this helps!!!!! Just so you know with these tires you can wear the "NEW NUBBINS" of of the whole tire with no chicken strips!!!!!

https://www.bikebandit.com/search-pro...238+4294967284
https://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=TUC_30-5210_G
https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Motocross.aspx

~Spoonykiller~

PS

What squirrel forum is it if I may ask? I am a life long hunter and like finding new people to hunt with & new places to hunt!!!!!

You wouldn't want to hunt these Squirrels. It is a self reliance/survival/weapons/homesteading/police/veterans/ham radio/wheels/patriot/alternate energy/field craft/blades/etc forum, for folks who see problems looming large on the horizon for our beleaguered republic. There are many different forums there covering many different topics. Something there to interest most anyone. The KLR-650 is mentioned frequently in our survival wheels forum and many of us own KLR's. We mention this forum for new folks who join us that are KLR owners, if they want the best site on the web for the straight skinny on the KLR.

https://www.frugalsquirrels.com/vb/index.php

7th
Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #19
kayakguy
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2011
Locale: SW Virginia
Postings: 90
kayakguy is on a distinguished road

Another squirrel here...

I love the way those avons look. What sort of mileage are you guys getting out of them?
kayakguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #20
CrossCountryJim
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2011
Locale: Canada
CrossCountryJim is on a distinguished road

Oh - another tire and mileage thread... Why does this always covered so much? yet every time I see one I have to read what the opinions are - I must be sick.
CrossCountryJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
klr650, street, tires