SiteLock
Bajaworx Dakar windshield - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 06-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
fuller95946
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jul 2009
Locale: quincy
Postings: 3
fuller95946 is on a distinguished road
Default Bajaworx Dakar windshield

I am thinking about buying this windshield or the Zero gravity sport touring with KLRDASH risers. I think the bajaworxs would be better for my 6'4" body. I saw one positive review of the bajaworx, but would like more feedback from others with the bajaworx shield. I do a lot of highway 55+ mph riding. Thank you
fuller95946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
fizbank
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Feb 2008
Locale: MN
Postings: 7
fizbank is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bajaworx Dakar windshield

I decided to pull the trigger and buy one, it will be here on Monday...Unfortunately I am a tad bit shorter then you (5' 7") so my results may not be the same as yours but I can let you know my thoughts on it after I get it mounted up.

Charlie
fizbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
fuller95946
Occasional Poster

Thank you Fizbank, let me know what you think of the windshield.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
ajohns19

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: Northwest Washington
Postings: 618
ajohns19 is on a distinguished road

I just got my Dakar today- will get it on and give it a ride this weekend. Love that label on the packaging- Thanks Gerald

Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
six6sputnik

Super Cool Since: May 2011
Locale: Utah
Postings: 11
six6sputnik is on a distinguished road

heres some pics of mine, i love it

https://www.klr650.net/forums/showpos...&postcount=202
six6sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
woodmnctry
A Regular

Locale: 8 k feet in Colorado
Postings: 166
woodmnctry is on a distinguished road

Waiting --- waiting for your evaluations
G
woodmnctry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
ajohns19

It's on, I have ridden about 70 miles today, and I have to say- this thing is the ticket Pushes wind right over the top of my helmet, no more annoying buffeting. 5' 10" 32" inseam. Looks good too

I added the sticker.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Slippery
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2011
Locale: Pocono's
Postings: 83
Slippery is on a distinguished road

Mine will be here on Monday (UPS). I plan on having a carbon fiber pattern done on it from Liquid Illusions in Collegeville, PA. I'll leave the top four inches clean so I can still look out of it. I'll post as soon as I am finished.
Eagle Mikes sub frame update, SW Motech crash bars, Moose Contour handguards, Moose foot pegs, KLR top bag, panniers and tank bag, Twisted Throttle rear brake master cylinder cover, Perelli MT21's front and rear, powder coated rims, hubs and laces, magnetic oil ring and drain plug, stainless oil filter, UNI air filter and Bajaworx Dakar windshield. (Coming soon and 688cc Big Bore Kit).
Slippery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
Mark R.
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Locale: Albuquerque, NM
Postings: 895
Mark R. is on a distinguished road

I got mine on Friday, and unfortunately, had to send it back. Mind you, the quality is outstanding, and Gerald is excellent to deal with.

The problem is that the shield is so far forward and vertical that I cannot see the ground in front of the bike without looking through the shield, or standing up, and I just do not like looking through windshields. I like looking over them.

If I was just highway riding, it would work for me. I am keeping the Kawasaki tall shield I have had for a long time now.
Mark R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
RustyShackleford
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Feb 2011
Locale: Riverside, NJ
Postings: 974
RustyShackleford is on a distinguished road

I wanna know how many of you needed dental work or a tracheotomy from hard-core off roading with this thing.

I wanna get this thing, but there are 2 problems. I dunno where, and I have no idea how it is heavy off-road.
-- 2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 BLUE CLUB MEMBER #177!! --Slide-KLX-pilot-142.5 Jet-Snorkle-Subframe
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
six6sputnik

Super Cool Since: May 2011
Locale: Utah
Postings: 11
six6sputnik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
I wanna know how many of you needed dental work or a tracheotomy from hard-core off roading with this thing.

I wanna get this thing, but there are 2 problems. I dunno where, and I have no idea how it is heavy off-road.
https://bajaworx.com/dakar-windshield.html
six6sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
ajohns19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post

I don't ride this thing "heavy off road" .... because it's too heavy
I rode it 180 miles Sunday- highway, FS roads, and slightly less than FS roads. I have a windscreen that has a similar shape on my Tiger and I actually can't recall ever being worried about being injured by the windscreen on either.

Last edited by ajohns19; 06-27-2011 at 09:53 PM.
ajohns19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #13
fizbank
Occasional Poster

Locale: MN
Postings: 7
fizbank is on a distinguished road

I received mine on Friday, put a couple hundred miles on the bike and I have to say it is a HUGE improvement over stock, buffeting is greatly reduced and they look great! Something I can't say for all of the windshield designs out there! With that said though it still isn't perfect. I dont know if this will make sence but while the force of buffeting is almost completely elminated, I still get quite a bit of wind noise from buffeting. Meaning my head is not getting slammed around, but I still have to wear earplugs...maybe I need a better helmet?? The other very minor thing I noticed with the windshield, it looks like mine may have had a bit of a manufacturing defect. On the right side where it is transitioning to vertical, mine has an extra bulge that doesn't look like it belongs there and if I look through it the images are very distorted. I am guessing that the polycarbonate didn't conform perfectly to the mold when it was made. On the bright side, I don't normally look through that area while driving. So I will give it a 10 for concept and looks, 10 for bug deflection (I no longer have to clean my helmet's shield every day!!), 8 for buffeting, and a 7 for quality control (only for that buldge, the rest of the shield was perfect!) Overall I am glad I bought it, the bike is ALOT more comfortable to ride! I should also say that I am 5' 7", 30" inseam, on a corbin dual plat seat; the shield is around the height of my upper lip / nose while sitting upright on the bike...I think its the perfect height for me.
fizbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
fuller95946
Occasional Poster

Good review of the windshield bizbank, I like the specific info. The Bajaworxs windshield appears to be a good solution to the KLR buffeting and noise problem. Maybe the manufacturer can reply on the defect. Overall sound like a good shield for the money. Geobeemer gives it a good review, but still waiting to hear from a 6' + rider's opinion before I buy. Keep the reviews coming.
Sponsored links

Tags
bajaworx, dakar, windshield