SiteLock
My review of Baja Dakar (tall) windshield - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 09-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Greens Tuff
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2009
Locale: Australia
Postings: 59
Greens Tuff is on a distinguished road
Default My review of Baja Dakar (tall) windshield

Hey fella's,

This might already have been done by others, but I thought to share my experience with the much debated Bajaworx Dakar windshield for the KLR. A bit of history: Like so many others I have been considering a change from a stock to a taller windshield (for my 2010 KLR) for quite some time. After reading many many threads on the topic, I finally decided to take a risk on the Baja since it got the most positive reviews for its functionality. So I got hold of the US supplier and placed the order, and after 2 weeks finally was able to take it out for a test run on the open road and twisties near my home town of Adelaide, South Australia. Here are my thoughts:

1. My experience dealing with Bajaworx was great. Gerald is a really good guy and his customer service was exemplary in my opinion.
2. Installation was quick and easy, the only unexpected thing being the modification required on the stock fairing (cutting off the sharp corners after removing the old windshield).
3. Road test:
I am about 5Ft9 so pretty average I guess. My plan was to take it out through the twisties and then on the open stretches where I could push the speed a bit. I also decided to do the ride out using my Airhawk seat which gives me a few more inches of ride height, and then come back without the Airhawk and thus at a lower (normal) height. With the stock windshield the wind used to hit me square on my upper chest and neck area. With the Baja windshield and the Airhawk seat, the wind now hits just under my dual sport helmet visor, and without the Airhawk it hits just above my visor. It's not bad though. I would imagine that with a road helmet I would get a nice smooth airflow over the helmet. Also, the wind coming around the shield now hits on my biceps (more or less) whereas before it used to hit my shoulders. Again, not too bad.

All in all, IMHO, the Baja windshield gives me a definite improvement over the stock one. The riding experience at high speed is much improved and not nearly as tiresome as before. Still get wind noise and a bit of buffeting on the helmet but it is not nearly as bad as before, and after all it is a bike so one should expect at least some buffeting and noise.

It also looks pretty good on the bike. Plus now I can hear my Staintune exhaust roar even better! See attached photo.

A good buy me thinks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike (Compressed).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	38729  

Last edited by Greens Tuff; 09-04-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Greens Tuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
NWJeeper
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: Orygun
Postings: 120
NWJeeper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My review of Baja Dakar (tall) windshield

Great post. Thanks for reviewing your shield. That was one of the finalists on my windscreen list too. It looks pretty cool on your bike!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
paulo888

Super Cool Since: Jun 2007
Locale: Los Angeles Native
Postings: 311
paulo888 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My review of Baja Dakar (tall) windshield

Good review Thanks
paulo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
baja, dakar, review, tall, windshield