SiteLock
BILT jackets and pants - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Gear Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.
Gear Discussion Gear for you and your ride

Old 10-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Namsa
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2010
Locale: Largo, Fl
Postings: 38
Namsa is on a distinguished road
Default BILT jackets and pants

I'm in the market for a riding jacket and pants. Had my heart set on the Tourmaster Transitions 2 jacket and TM pants. When I was in the local Cycle Gear store this afternoon looking for a helmet I noticed that they were selling the BILT jackets for $179 and the pants for $89. They looked well made and very similar to the TM stuff. Have any of you guys tried these and if so how do they hold up?
Thanks
Namsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
TACODOC
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Locale: Temecula Valley
Postings: 110
TACODOC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BILT jackets and pants

I'm wondering about this stuff as well... Is this gear just cheap made in china crap or what???
Old 10-18-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
electroken

Super Cool Since: Mar 2007
Locale: Shelton, CT
Postings: 874
electroken is on a distinguished road

I recently spent a couple hours in the local Cycle Gear looking at their "Bilt" stuff. The stuff is inexpensive and adequate if you don't expect too much. Most of the jackets, pants, and gloves were made in Pakistan. The helmets were Chinese. Overall the clothing looked OK, but had some sloppy seams and the size designations were pulled out of a hat. Somehow my hands, which were L-XL walking in, were now 2XL.

On my own personal list of build quality vs. country of manufacture, anything made in one of the 'stans is dead last.
electroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
tims007
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2011
Locale: portland or
Postings: 40
tims007 is on a distinguished road

ok so i own both the built stuff ( i have the first version of the jacket with the full Velcro instead of buttons down the middle) and there good for the price i got it at ($99) issues are you need a bungee cord to keep the 3/4 part down around your waist otherwise it will blow up your back ...... they are extremely waterproof how water proof well i rode in a down poor that had 1/2 inch of water covering I-5 doing 80mph here in Portland Oregon and i got home dry after 30 miles of that non stop. also i own tourmaster gear and that has become my summer gear ( although i just got a heated liner and pants from (warmnsafe.com) so i will be waterproofing my tourmaster gear * i say waterproofing my tourmaster gear because that advertised it as water proof and well i got soaked*) if you don't have the funds to get olympia or areostitch gear then get the built stuff and then save up for the good gear ......

p.s. warmnsafe.com makes all of areostitches / firstgear/ and tourmasters heated gear I.E. its warmnsafes gear just re-branded how do i know well there shop is in portland and i saw all the stickers of those brands that they stick on and then send out on there behalf lol and omg the gear is sooooo nice

p.s.s. if you want good gear get something 3/4 length with a full wrap around zipper that connects the top and bottom or just get a one piece

as far as boots i would get alpinestars web gore-tex there the best boot for the $$$$ stay away from the built boots ( i went through a pair in 6 months) and then my ( for now) water proof gloves are alpienstar gry-star a good glove with a little insulation gloves or for heated and water proof gloves try warmnsafe gloves

Last edited by tims007; 10-19-2011 at 12:00 AM.
tims007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
MJohnson650

Super Cool Since: Jun 2011
Locale: Oregon
Postings: 390
MJohnson650 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsa View Post
I'm in the market for a riding jacket and pants. Had my heart set on the Tourmaster Transitions 2 jacket and TM pants. When I was in the local Cycle Gear store this afternoon looking for a helmet I noticed that they were selling the BILT jackets for $179 and the pants for $89. They looked well made and very similar to the TM stuff. Have any of you guys tried these and if so how do they hold up?
Thanks
I have a BILT jacket and pants and so far I really like them. Like a previous poster, I too can verify that they are definitly WATERPROOF. I rode in a pretty good rainstorm right after I got them for a good 30-40min straight and I too was dry and warm when I got home.
Right now I ride to work at 2:30am and it's been getting in the low 40's and even dipping into the high 30's once or twice and I can ride with just a T-shirt on underneath the jacket and bluejeans under the pants and stay plenty warm.
As for the quality, I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for", However...they come with a 5yr warranty. I paid less than $200 for both pants and jacket, granted the quality will NEVER compare to Cortech or any other big name brand but I think they work and work good.
The only downside I have seen with the pants I have is the legs don't have side zippers for easy removal with boots on, you have to take you boots off to take your pants off.
Hope this helps.

'89 KLR 650 OD Green/black with 32,000mi and counting
MJohnson650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
KLR916

Super Cool Since: Sep 2011
Locale: NorCal
Postings: 404
KLR916 is on a distinguished road

The jackets are currently 50% off or $99 at cycle gear right now and they still have most sizes in stock.
KLR916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Artful
KLR Enthusiast

Locale: Scottsdale AZ USA
Postings: 1,241
Artful is on a distinguished road

Went out today and got a red one - looks well built will give it a try in next couple of weeks with weather as it is in AZ currently.
Artful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
Yamadog
A Regular

Locale: Lodi, ca
Postings: 24
Yamadog is on a distinguished road

I just bought the coat last weekend I like it so far
Yamadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
JohnQ

Super Cool Since: Jul 2009
Locale: Magnolia, TX
Postings: 346
JohnQ is on a distinguished road

I bought a grey and black jacket yesterday. It was in the low 30's this morning on my ride to work and I stayed nice and warm. No complaints so far.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
Artful
KLR Enthusiast

very warm with liner in place - sweating at 60's
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
laflyer
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2005
Locale: Los Angeles
Postings: 194
laflyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful View Post
very warm with liner in place - sweating at 60's
+1

I have the $99 Typhoon Bilt jacket. Looks good, seems well made. Definitely on the warm side with the liner in. I thought it would be a hot weather alternative to my regular leather jacket, but looks like it will be good cold and wet weather alternative instead. The elbow pads flop around a bit not enough to annoy. Nice jacket for the price.
laflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
Artful
KLR Enthusiast

Well, used my BILT jacket/pants as a ski suit - first time down hill ski-ing quite a bit different than cross country especially when the snow was mainly ice. padding worked well for the most part. Even put on my helmet to help cushion the melon. Worked hard enough to raise a sweat in 49 deg F weather - and next day used without the insulated liner and still sweated but not near as much.

Got to love multi use garments.

Stolen from KY2008
Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #13
TORQUER
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Dec 2011
Locale: LOUISVILLE KY
Postings: 831
TORQUER is on a distinguished road

Well, i am gearing up right now. I am getting ready to buy my first bike (klr) and I just bought a Bilt jacket last week. Not sure which one it is, but the tag says "BILT STORM 3/4 H2O JET". It was originally $249.99. They had them on sale for $149.99. And my company gave me $100 in visa gift cards so I couldn't pass it up. Paid $60.10 after tax. Havent rode with it yet cause I don't have a bike, but i am working on that....I hope I didn't buy some piece of crap jacket...lol. Im a total noob if you can't tell. The jacket fits me well and I am 6 foot 5 inches tall, but slender. has a fleece liner you can remove, and has more zipable vents than I care to count. i believe they had a cheaper jacket but this one seemed a little better built.

BIKELESS AT THE MOMENT

Last edited by TORQUER; 12-28-2011 at 11:39 PM.
TORQUER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
BAMBAM650
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Cincinnati, OH
Postings: 782
BAMBAM650 is on a distinguished road

"On my own personal list of build quality vs. country of manufacture, anything made in one of the 'stans is dead last."

+1 to that!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
19willys51

Super Cool Since: Nov 2011
Locale: Mountains of AZ
Postings: 577
19willys51 is on a distinguished road

The Bilt brand of stuff seems to work OK for the money spent. I've been using their tail and saddle bags on my '09 and they faded fast in the AZ sun but have held up without broken zippers etc. I've been looking at the jackets and pants, after reading this post, I think I'll give em a shot.
19willys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #16
TORQUER
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19willys51 View Post
The Bilt brand of stuff seems to work OK for the money spent. I've been using their tail and saddle bags on my '09 and they faded fast in the AZ sun but have held up without broken zippers etc. I've been looking at the jackets and pants, after reading this post, I think I'll give em a shot.
Well I can tell you after riding in 20 degree weather that my Bilt jacket does the job with a hoodie on underneath. I don't use the fleece liner because it is cumbersome to install and remove. I just throw on my favorite hoodie, then the jacket and ride. Keeps my body warm. Im going to try some pants too if I can find some to fit my long ass legs (im 6' 5").

BIKELESS AT THE MOMENT
Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #17
Artful
KLR Enthusiast

My BILT pants are actually a little long on my 33" inseam, go to a store and try them on.

https://www.cyclegear.com/eng/storeSe...oreLocator.cfm

Cycle Gear Locations
RETURN TO MAP
Cycle Gear Tulsa
6701A E 41st Street
Tulsa, OK 74145
Tel.: (918) 384-0608
Fax: (918) 828-5666

Mon-Thu: 10-7
Fri: 10-8
Sat: 9-6
Sun: 10-5

Stolen from KY2008

Last edited by Artful; 02-09-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
TORQUER
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful View Post
My BILT pants are actually a little long on my 33" inseam, go to a store and try them on.

https://www.cyclegear.com/eng/storeSe...oreLocator.cfm

Cycle Gear Locations
RETURN TO MAP
Cycle Gear Tulsa
6701A E 41st Street
Tulsa, OK 74145
Tel.: (918) 384-0608
Fax: (918) 828-5666

Mon-Thu: 10-7
Fri: 10-8
Sat: 9-6
Sun: 10-5
Yeah I know where Cycle gear is. I bought my jacket, gloves and helmet there. They are also right across the street from where I work, about .25 miles from me. I have a 36" inseam and 36" waist. I doubt they have anything for me, but its worth a shot.

BIKELESS AT THE MOMENT
Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #19
JNXPILOT
Let the adventure begin..

Super Cool Since: Apr 2011
Locale: Garner, NC
Postings: 61
JNXPILOT is on a distinguished road

I bought the Bilt 3/4 jacket, pants, and boots during the Christmas sales. I believe you need to try the stuff on because the posted sizes are random at best. I'm an XL guy with a 42 inch waist and 10.5 shoe. Needed a 2XL, a 40 inch waist fits over my jeans, and a size 13 boot. Also, the zipper slider is on the left instead of the right. No big deal. Overall I'm pleased with the price, performance. A heated vest would make it perfect
JNXPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
dlay8
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2007
Locale: Glendale, Arizona
Postings: 234
dlay8 is on a distinguished road

veru cool to hear the postives on the BILT clothing. I would not even think of buying bags or anything of that nature, it just looks so cheap and feels cheap. I thought Cycle Gear blew it when they changed their line to BILT as they had a really good product before. They went cheaper and were charging the same. I was in Cycle Gear yesterday looking at the jackets and it looks like I am headed back.
dlay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
bilt, jackets, pants